fused spurs | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fused spurs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can spur, and extend from a radial circuit as long as the cable is sized correctly. Its not great practice to spur from an immersion heater radial though as the OSG appendix 8 says that water heaters of 15l capacity or more should be on there own circuit.

You can't spur off a radial circuit!

Just for the record I never wire boilers hense all the questions/confusion!
Croppie are you saying that you cant change an immersion for a fcu?? Thought this was standard on refurbs to use the old immersion for the new boiler?

You can spur, and extend from a radial circuit as long as the cable is sized correctly. Its not great practice to spur from an immersion heater radial though as the OSG appendix 8 says that water heaters of 15l capacity or more should be on there own circuit.

The osg says about spurring off ring mains, one spur per outlet (or double outlet)

Categorically states not off radials.

Croppie are you saying that you cant change an immersion for a fcu?? Thought this was standard on refurbs to use the old immersion for the new boiler?

you can when you remove the immersion/cyclinder but you can spur off an immersion circuit with the immersion still in use

Flex is used because of the fact the front control panel is made to move for access, flat t&e is used for fixed wiring, and I can't remember pyro being used for anything that could move.
So what if the boiler cable is totally seperate/nothing to do with the fold down panel?!

So what if the boiler cable is totally seperate/nothing to do with the fold down panel?!

dont take too much into your head just use flex from a fcu to the boiler

Course you can do that, senseless not to. But you'd be changing the immersion isolator to a FSS to feed the wiring centre. Any remote isolators, such as in the kitchen, for example, would need to be turned into a junction and blanked off.

Course you can do that, senseless not to. But you'd be changing the immersion isolator to a FSS to feed the wiring centre. Any remote isolators, such as in the kitchen, for example, would need to be turned into a junction and blanked off.

This example is just for a combi. so cylinder gone, immersion switch changed to fcu for combi.

This example is just for a combi. so cylinder gone, immersion switch changed to fcu for combi.

whats about the boost button in the kitchen like most old house had?

The osg says about spurring off ring mains, one spur per outlet (or double outlet)

Categorically states not off radials.

Have to disagree there, although not got an OSG to hand to check. Spurring from radial circuits
when fused and wired correct is no issue at all. A 16A radial circuit run in 2.5mm T&E for instance cannot result in overloaded cable if the spurred cables are in 2.5mm T&E.

Regardless of the run/distance and route ie under floorboards through joists?

no fcu should be by the boiler as to isolate the boiler and not having to search half the house to find it

Why not? (Other than the fold down cover issue)

t+e doesnt like repeated movement, esp with heat the pvc goes hard and then you fold the cover down and it splits leaving the inner cores on show

Mi's don't mention anything about being heat resistant cable. As long as not touching any pipework?

mi dont say alot about the elec side that why you should refer to osg or get a sparky in

Have to disagree there, although not got an OSG to hand to check. Spurring from radial circuits
when fused and wired correct is no issue at all. A 16A radial circuit run in 2.5mm T&E for instance cannot result in overloaded cable if the spurred cables are in 2.5mm T&E.

I can't agree withyou. No point in both of us being wrong.

Especially as I happen to be doing my part P this week.

Your move batman.

no fcu should be by the boiler as to isolate the boiler and not having to search half the house to find it

Ok, so if you were to utilise the old immersion circuit and change the faceplate to a fcu, would you run another cable to a second fcu by the boiler? Never taken any notice before now tbh.

Ok, so if you were to utilise the old immersion circuit and change the faceplate to a fcu, would you run another cable to a second fcu by the boiler? Never taken any notice before now tbh.

the boiler going in the airing cupboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The boiler is full of water and electrics but...
Replies
Views
You need one cable for power to boiler and...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
Finally got an update from him. He cant do the...
Replies
Views
Back