fused spurs | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fused spurs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the 15amp protects the circuit the 3amp protects the appliance fitted, in this case the boiler

Always thought the fuse was there to protect the cable so the fuse melts before the cable.

Always thought the fuse was there to protect the cable so the fuse melts before the cable.

As above thought the 1.5 was t&e to the spur not from the spur to the appliance, you are right,

Cables are often oversized. I never use any heavier cable to a boiler than 1.0mm and that is more than plenty.
Fuses are for protecting cable to appliance and, perhaps slightly less importantly, the appliance itself.

T&E cable from a spur to a boiler is fine, providing you use a wiring box, or another spur to take white 3 core round cable into boiler

So have you taken 1.5t&e into the boiler

I havent done anything, this is just one ive came across that has got me thinking. But yes t+e into boiler. Mi's say at least 0.75mm pvc insulated cable....dosent say you have to use flex.

To throw a spanner the works, you could feed an FCU with a run of 1.5mm t+e clipped direct from the consumer unit and protect it with a 16A 60898.

I havent done anything, this is just one ive came across that has got me thinking. But yes t+e into boiler. Mi's say at least 0.75mm pvc insulated cable....dosent say you have to use flex.

dude it sounds like your out of your depth, from the fused spur to the boiler use flex looks much better and you wont have any problems with the glands on the boiler

Last edited:
That's because they don't make 0.75mm flat t&e

To throw a spanner the works, you could feed an FCU with a run of 1.5mm t+e clipped direct from the consumer unit and protect it with a 16A 60898.

Yes a 1.5mm ref method c will carry 19.5 amps.

or if you got a bit of 1mm pyro knocking about you could use that as well, might be a struggle to make off for most folks though ;-)

or if you got a bit of 1mm pyro knocking about you could use that as well, might be a struggle to make off for most folks though ;-)

not if you still have the potting tools :D

That was why I asked the question. 2.5mm from the board on a 15amp 3036 rewireable fuse to the immersion. Then a 1.5mm from the spur to the boiler with a 3 amp fuse at the spur. Just thought the 15amp at the board should be changed to a 6amp. Wasn't sure with the 2.5mm t+e.

You can't spur off a radial circuit!

Flex is used because of the fact the front control panel is made to move for access, flat t&e is used for fixed wiring, and I can't remember pyro being used for anything that could move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The boiler is full of water and electrics but...
Replies
Views
You need one cable for power to boiler and...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
Finally got an update from him. He cant do the...
Replies
Views
Back