gas cooker | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter franz
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 1K

Discuss gas cooker in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franz

have just bought a repo house.gas cooker is rancid.
I want to throw it out.
can i simply turn off the gas ,and undo the connection at the hose where it connects to the pipe and turn on the gas again?

Yes but I would reccomened you have the pipework tested

In theory, you should be fine, but the bayonet fittings on the pipework side have a spring-loaded part which should seal the pipe. However, there is no guarantee that it wont pass, so best be safe and get it capped before the hose.

And it should be done by a Gas Safe registered fitter, who will do a soundness test on the whole system.
It really isnt worth taking chances with gas. If you are away from the property for any length of time and there is a leak, then it is an explosion waiting to happen.

i agree with the othere posts, and would add it is a very good idea to have the whole gas system, including boiler and fires checked when you taks over a new property as you have no idea when it was checked before, and unfortunately i have to add even if you have paperwork "proving" it has been fully checked, it only "proves" you have a bit of paper, get it checked out by your own gas engineer then you know it is safe

have had bayonet fittings leak after removing hose, you realy should get a gas safe eng round

bayonnets are designed for temporary disconnection for getting in behind ovens to clean, not a permanent means of isolation. Best to do what has already been mentioned in previous posts

As long as the connection is the spring loaded bayonet type then you can disconnect from there.
There is no requirement to cap off the bayonet and as long as there is no leak of gas can be
left as is.

As long as the connection is the spring loaded bayonet type then you can disconnect from there.
There is no requirement to cap off the bayonet and as long as there is no leak of gas can be
left as is.

i think you will find mate that wats been said earlier is correct and is only temporary, sure when i done my gas it said if it was being left for any length of time after 24 hours it has to be permenently capped

Yes thats what i was told as basically it comes under cookers cert

no its there so it can be disconnetced for the customer to clean behind then put back , but like has been said it is not meant a permanent way of isloating the gas supply

bayonnets are designed so customers can remove cooker to gain access to clean, they are not designed for a permanent means of isolation, should be removed and capped as previously said, because bayonnet fitting is a mechanical fitting and can fail.

so you can connect and disconnecty at will??
so why bother having a cooker licence??

i always replace with new hose and bayonnet, something customer cant do

they still cant assemble hose to cooker body, do tightness test etc make sure its working safely ventilation etc

but then again with the kit Pee &Poo are sellin now maybe alot of DIY installs

If you don't have your cooker ticket you cant install cookers or hobs. The only thing regarding cookers the customer can do is disconnect the bayonet temporarily as has already been said. For everything else you need to be GSR.

You can do hobs without cookers , your basically tho installing a cooker if your connecting hose to bayonette, so an owner will be doing illegal work

i always have to assemble hose into male or female adaptor which then i connect to the cooker, so its not just as simple as plugging a hose into a bayonnet

You can fit hobs without your cooker ticket? That's a new one on me.. Id look further into that if I were you.

No need to look into it had it straight from gas safe as already asked in the past , hob on rigid pipework .

Erm.. I would argue that a hob is a cooker as defined by the standard BS6172:2010

Erm.. I would argue that a hob is a cooker as defined by the standard BS6172:2010

argue it with gas safe then ,
a hob is a hob not cooker hence name hob !!!
like i said been told it from the horses mouth so to speak !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If he's cautious, the plumber will want to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the replies. So the distance is...
Replies
Views
Back