gas cooker | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter franz
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 1K

Discuss gas cooker in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
many things have these type connectors, consider lpg heaters, cookers etc, no gsr required, we would ruin many camping expeditions if it were

well thats what i am saying is the hypocracy of it all , they can disconnect a cooker yet not allowed to take a boiler casing off as removing a boiler cover is classed as gas work and you need to be gsr registered .
As for ptfe the hose to cooker thats a joke in its own right !1

well thats what i am saying is the hypocracy of it all , they can disconnect a cooker yet not allowed to take a boiler casing off as removing a boiler cover is classed as gas work and you need to be gsr registered .
As for ptfe the hose to cooker thats a joke in its own right !1
of course it is. who says if its a positive pressure boiler or not, and ptfe is ptfe, just slap it on?.

if the current system isnt correct or is hypocritical, what isnt? where do you suggest the line is drawn then?

Well a line is never going to be drawn as its all about money as per usual bpec gas safe etc .

i think you will find mate that wats been said earlier is correct and is only temporary, sure when i done my gas it said if it was being left for any length of time after 24 hours it has to be permenently capped

a properly fitted and not leaking bayonet can be left as a permanent point of disconnection, there is NO timescale for a disconnection, as there is no temporary gas work, it is either acceptable to disconnect it or it isnt acceptable, having a timescale on it doent make sense

No need to look into it had it straight from gas safe as already asked in the past , hob on rigid pipework .

sorry but that is not the case and i would suggest a wee phone call to GSR tomorrow to confirm the confusion of your last conversation, as i can state 100% you MUST have CKR1 to fit a hob

you sure redsaw? we are debating who can do it, if anyone can disconnect a cooker why should it be offered only to gsr?

part of the conversations might be about who can and cannot disconnect a hose and bayonet, but we also have comments about people fitting hobs with only CCN1 which is wrong and will only create havoc for those reading it and should be taken to the gas only section, as it isnt very professional to have GSR's debating what quals you need to fit a hob

All this confusion just shows how bureaucratic we've become in this country.

Seems to me that good old fashioned common sense has been left far behind.

Well a line is never going to be drawn as its all about money as per usual bpec gas safe etc .

i dont follow your logic saying you dont need CKR1 to fit hobs to solid pipe (and i bet you dont have an email confirming this, and i bet you even more you cant get one tomorrow) as you can read about clearances and ventilation in the MI, do you have HTR1 or do you connect fires to rigid pipe and read about ventilation in the MI's

I put it down to the grey areas that exist within the gas industry .

Reading back I would agree its probably better to move it over to the GSR forum.

i dont follow your logic saying you dont need CKR1 to fit hobs to solid pipe (and i bet you dont have an email confirming this, and i bet you even more you cant get one tomorrow) as you can read about clearances and ventilation in the MI, do you have HTR1 or do you connect fires to rigid pipe and read about ventilation in the MI's

It was a conversation over an issue with a hob to gsr tech helpline about two years ago.

It was a conversation over an issue with a hob to gsr tech helpline about two years ago.

apologies for banging on about it, but i can categorically state you cannot fit a hob with CCN1 ticket, so the conversation you had with GSR must have got confused and i can also tell you categorically that IF you fit a hob without CKR1 and something goes wrong and you quote a phone call from 2yrs ago as your defence in court you will get slaughtered, i appreciate you have taken this advice from GSR in good faith (as you should) but it is wrong, i spoke to CORGI inspectors yrs ago about technical advice issues and they said one of the biggest problems was making sure they understood what the caller meant, and to be sure that they got the right info across, but were very wary of emailing advice in case it was taken out of context

apologies for banging on about it, but i can categorically state you cannot fit a hob with CCN1 ticket, so the conversation you had with GSR must have got confused and i can also tell you categorically that IF you fit a hob without CKR1 and something goes wrong and you quote a phone call from 2yrs ago as your defence in court you will get slaughtered, i appreciate you have taken this advice from GSR in good faith (as you should) but it is wrong, i spoke to CORGI inspectors yrs ago about technical advice issues and they said one of the biggest problems was making sure they understood what the caller meant, and to be sure that they got the right info across, but were very wary of emailing advice in case it was taken out of context

i am not fitting hobs nor cookers as dont have ticket and reason never done the ticket is because doesnt seem to be much money it where i live. As for tech advice or with gsr lack of tech advice then if they arnt capable of giving clear cut answers then they are only confusing the issue thenmselves and should only email clear cut answers.
L:ike i said earlier if a home owner can connect/disconnect a cooker then why should they have to be gsr to take boiler cover off?? Different story if its invasive gas work yes but to take a cover off ??

have on site yes , my own works no as cant be bothered .hence why never bothered with cooker ticket .
correct me if i miss read this but if you aint got the ticket and you have fitted cookers on site then its a bit of a no no?. no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how you read it,
Have worked all over the country and there are guys on most sites i have worked on installing boilers,hobs,cookers,gas pipe work and dont have a gas ticket to their name. However thier is a commissioning guy who will come oout and commission all appliances installed ,it also works same way with unvented cylinders.
Normally on site there will be a gas certified op but doesnt mean those works stop if theyu go sick or on holiday.Correct me if i am wrong but if their is a gas op on site then the theory goes he is over seeing the work (even tho it is a technacality) of the installs. Besides i have also seen gas safe ops who iwouldn't trust to fix a stand off clip never mind install commission any form of appliance.

find it hard to understand that. your saying that the regs are being broke on a large scale then?.
i mean, the work can only be supervised if monitored from start to finish and the relevant ticket holder has not left the side of the installer?.

Saying exactly that !!!
I have worked on many new builds where guys dont have any gas experience what so ever and yet are installing boilers and hobs .
i worked with a guy that never had any gas experience at all yet had a u gauge and would test to what he thought was the method of a tt.
I worked for a large company ( no names) a few years ago that had a guy on site installing boilkers and hobs and was only third year apprentice . Like i said have worked all over and yes this goes on at a rather large scale.

find it hard to understand that. your saying that the regs are being broke on a large scale then?.
i mean, the work can only be supervised if monitored from start to finish and the relevant ticket holder has not left the side of the installer?.

It is done big time Red. All within the rules. Some of the bigger outfits may only have one or 2 registered guys.

Saying exactly that !!!
I have worked on many new builds where guys dont have any gas experience what so ever and yet are installing boilers and hobs .
i worked with a guy that never had any gas experience at all yet had a u gauge and would test to what he thought was the method of a tt.
I worked for a large company ( no names) a few years ago that had a guy on site installing boilkers and hobs and was only third year apprentice . Like i said have worked all over and yes this goes on at a rather large scale.

have seen it too

wo! that may explain the job i did on saturday then. in the book it states 'installed by' (the company) and commissioned by (independent) yet there was a 48mb standing pressure and the boiler has never been touched since installed in new build 2 years ago?.
this explains a lot of the 'iffy' work i have seen around then.

what can be done about it?.

Last edited by a moderator:
what can be done about it?.

Nothing much as they are supposedly working under the supervision and direction of the qualified guy. Much like having an apprentice or trainee with you.
It is in the qualified guys interest to make sure things are done right as he is the one signing it off and any faults he takes the rap.

Nothing much as they are supposedly working under the supervision and direction of the qualified guy. Much like having an apprentice or trainee with you.
It is in the qualified guys interest to make sure things are done right as he is the one signing it off and any faults he takes the rap.
cheep labor rules profit is king then?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If he's cautious, the plumber will want to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the replies. So the distance is...
Replies
Views
Back