gas cooker | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter franz
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 1K

Discuss gas cooker in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how you read it,
Have worked all over the country and there are guys on most sites i have worked on installing boilers,hobs,cookers,gas pipe work and dont have a gas ticket to their name. However thier is a commissioning guy who will come oout and commission all appliances installed ,it also works same way with unvented cylinders.
Normally on site there will be a gas certified op but doesnt mean those works stop if theyu go sick or on holiday.Correct me if i am wrong but if their is a gas op on site then the theory goes he is over seeing the work (even tho it is a technacality) of the installs. Besides i have also seen gas safe ops who iwouldn't trust to fix a stand off clip never mind install commission any form of appliance.

apologies if im now misreading what you have said in different posts, in one you said you have had clarification by phone that YOU v=can and HAVE fitted hobs on site under a CCN1 ticket, and then in another you have said you dont fit them, sorry if if i am confusing issues but just for me:
a) you HAVE fitted hobs on site on a CCN1 ticket (after getting phone confirmation from CORGI/GSR), or
b) you HAVE NOT done the above
re the later points you make about a load of guys doing gas work with one guy signing all the work off,i KNOW this goes on but i also know that it is 100% illegal, there is a world of difference to plumber fitting gas unsupervised and getting the gas guy along on a friday to sign it off, to a plumber and gas guy working on the same gas job with both being there 100% of the time to allow the plumber to work under 1 to 1 supervision while buliding a portfolio of evidence, sorry to keep the thread going, but i was clear on what you were doing (although i stand by my statement that it is wrong) now i dont know if you are changing what you said you done before or im just stupid or both

Depends how you read it,
Have worked all over the country and there are guys on most sites i have worked on installing boilers,hobs,cookers,gas pipe work and dont have a gas ticket to their name. However thier is a commissioning guy who will come oout and commission all appliances installed ,it also works same way with unvented cylinders.
Normally on site there will be a gas certified op but doesnt mean those works stop if theyu go sick or on holiday.Correct me if i am wrong but if their is a gas op on site then the theory goes he is over seeing the work (even tho it is a technacality) of the installs. Besides i have also seen gas safe ops who iwouldn't trust to fix a stand off clip never mind install commission any form of appliance.

i think a few of us are reading it the same way!!

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Last edited by a moderator:
this is always going to be the problem on site work when you arrive to do second fix work how do you know whose done the first fix ? and whats the situation in larger stuff where risers go in 12 months before the secondfix chance are the original fitter could be gone, dead or left the country by the time the flats get fitted out who then signs the work of ?

It is done big time Red. All within the rules. Some of the bigger outfits may only have one or 2 registered guys.

i agree it goes on, what i cant understand is the idiot who signs it all off, when the poo hits the fan he needs to say "yes i was there and supervised this work, but i honestly dont know why there was an explosion, i will do better the next time, if you dont jail me" the plumber gets off scott free as there is paperwork to say he was supervised, and the boss gets off scott free as he told the gas guy to supervise the woork, but how can he supervise 4-6 heating teams properly, there isnt enough money in the bank managers pension fund (remember when we used to say the bank vault?) for me to sign off this level of work and TBH he deserves all he gets when/if it goes wrong, because it is not within the regs to do what they are doing, although it will be within the rules for them to elude to what is going on,
gasparts i bet you wish you hadnt mentioned fitting hobs under CCN1 now

kirk that doesnt answer my question where a large job is spread over long periods how can the same man do it all or would you suggest that all previous work is ripped out and redone

kirk that doesnt answer my question where a large job is spread over long periods how can the same man do it all or would you suggest that all previous work is ripped out and redone

no i appreciate the scenario you suggest and it isnt feasible to guarantee that the same guy will go back months later, but that doesnt negate the need for the boss to ensure that whoever did the first fix was a gas guy NOT a plumber wth a gas guy running round several jobs filling out paperwork to keep the bosses costs down, if you get sent to a second fix 3 months after the first fix and nothing is jumping out at you then it is acceptable to belive your boss is a good boss who works within the regs (unless you know he isnt, would you then sign off as your responsibility gas work done by guys you know are not qualified) but the quotes made here were made by someone who guarantees by their own admission that they did illegal gas work that is signed off by a gas guy which is different,

The convo i had with gas safe regarding hobs was on a wimpey site .The gas hob was to be fitted in a disabled kitchen where the whol;e work top could move up/down for wheel chair access.Thats when i pointed out hobs are on fixed pipework which is when i phoned gas safe.I gave my own reg number and ,tech guy then gave me the info i have stated.
I have seen other gas guys inspected on site and they have not even been questioned by the inspector that they have solely fitted 140 boilers/hobs/pipework or even supervised all these installs.
Just about ALL big firms employ a guy who will solely go out and commisssion an install, i have worked with most of the big players and its same all over .To say it isnt then its a case of need to get out into the bigger market.
House bash sites pay £10 for a tt £40 for commission so guys who were not gas safe would test ten houses then flash up heating get the money.Like i said happens on large scale and on every site i have been on .

Kirk i have not fitted any cookers on my own work like i said in earlier post never done ticket as no money in it here so wont bother.Thjink its interesting debate tho as obvious;y opened up a few eyes as to what really goes on .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If he's cautious, the plumber will want to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the replies. So the distance is...
Replies
Views
Back