gas cooker | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter franz
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 1K

Discuss gas cooker in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
argue it with gas safe then ,
a hob is a hob not cooker hence name hob !!!
like i said been told it from the horses mouth so to speak !

I dont need to, Its in the standard that is available on their website. You might want to check it out, what would you class an gas oven as then?

GSIUR reg 2 par 22 definition of work, "but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector."
this is as said only to be understood for the short term, such as removal for cleaning behind.

I dont need to, Its in the standard that is available on their website. You might want to check it out, what would you class an gas oven as then?

i dont need to ,like i said inquired to gsr about fitting hobs, passed my reg as you do and they gave me all clear good enough for them good enough for me .

GSIUR reg 2 par 22 definition of work, "but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector."
this is as said only to be understood for the short term, such as removal for cleaning behind.

Nice to see its clear as crystal as per usual ,,,talk about sitting on the fence.

i dont need to ,like i said inquired to gsr about fitting hobs, passed my reg as you do and they gave me all clear good enough for them good enough for me .

So you are fitting gas hobs without CKR1? It would be interesting to know Gas Safe's logic behind this, especially when it comes to gas hobs which can be fitted with flexible hoses.

have on site yes , my own works no as cant be bothered to bum about for £50 .hence why never bothered with cooker ticket .

I fit them for IKEA installers, get £100 a pop and was always told I needed my CKR1 hence why I'm a bit taken aback by Gas safes response.

I have been posting on this type of forum long enough to know that there may be
others that might know better and plenty that know little ready to shoot me down
in flames if I get it wrong.

I try not to post unless I am sure I can back up what I say for this reason.

GSIR Reg 6(3) Any person who disconnects a gas fitting shall, with the appropriate fitting, seal off
every outlet of every pipe to which it was connected.

Guidance to this regulation goes on to say ..................A self- sealing coupling, eg on a cooker connection,
does not need to be capped off, ....................

It also goes on to say that ................However, it should be checked that any disconnected coupling is
is not leaking gas ..................

£100 a pop aint bad by any shout , you sure they dont ask for ckr1 as its contract work??

As for gas safe nothing suprises me with them as last time i rang tech help i got told off for not having my viper book with me which i left at home and ended with no answer for my query.
I'm sure i questioned the hob scenario with gas safe due to a floating kitchen worktop if memory serves correct gave him my reg i.d and said hob has to be rigid not on flex (which i altready knew) but wanted confirmation.Asked if i could fit it and was told yes due to pipework.

Id be careful mate, if anything were to happen they would probably deny ever telling you anything.
Nah I was asked what Id be working on and just sat the relevant tickets, never even questioned it, especially as it covers hobs in the assessment.

Heoliotrope is correct. There is no requirement to cap off an unused bayonet connection. It may be considered good practice but there is nothing anywhere saying it has to be.

And regardless of what someone at gas safe said, you need a ticket to fit hobs. Not because it is hard to do but you need to be aware of the clearances and ventilation.

Regarding the original post a occupant of house can connect /disconnect at will ?

o.k so on re-connection your surely breaking into the gas supply which is deemed as gas work??
How does that equate ?
Cust cant take boiler cover off for e.g as its classified as gas work by gsr but has not broke into a gas supply yet can push a fitting into a live gas supply ,,,,,,,one word 'joke'

A gas poker may be a better example of something that is plugged in and out of a bayonet fitting a lot more regularly than a cooker hose.
Imagine having to phone a gas guy every time you lit the fire.

What am getting at is hypocracy of it all , your basically being told you can plug into bayonette yet cant be trusted to ptfe cooker hose , test,gas,rate etc etc etc ,yet can put all pipe work in , do boilers , do service on fire , open flued appliances ,ventilation blah blah blah but incompetent to ptfe a cooker hose because dont have a licence !!

You can do hobs without cookers , your basically tho installing a cooker if your connecting hose to bayonette, so an owner will be doing illegal work

if a customer disconnects, cleans behind and re connects they have done nothing wrong

i suggest this conversation taken over to the gas safe forum where all are invited, providing you are registered?.

you sure redsaw? we are debating who can do it, if anyone can disconnect a cooker why should it be offered only to gsr?

I do think its ridiculous that they are basically saying that your capable at everything else for e.g but you dont have a cooker cert they are saying your not capable of ptfe'ing a hose !!
Mi's will tell you about ventilation /clearances plus you do ventilation on your ccn1 , failing that just blast a 4 inch core througf the wall .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If he's cautious, the plumber will want to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the replies. So the distance is...
Replies
Views
Back