Gas Safe Engineers | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Safe Engineers in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
People just don't understand that the flame uses air. When flame has used most of the air it struggles and produces co.
it's so simple

If you could explain it in a single line and give it a 15 second advert on TV I think you could save a few lives

I do quite a bit of work on the sites over here, I think I'll have a chat with the wardens and bang some notices up.

If it makes people think again that's good enough for me!

Top man! I live very close to Gilwell Park and know a few of the scout leaders. Will have a chat there as well. Could tie it in to Gas Safety week...

We could knock gas safe week on the head and all the other 'well meaning' but pointless awareness attempts and stick a 15 to 20 second info advert on in between corrie or eastenders with some hard facts on combustion.

Perhaps a CO related fatality on one of those soaps. One of the big names.

Corrie's got a few embarrassing employees at the moment it could afford to lose!

I think we need some help from Bruce Willis for a proper job.

Police car brings down helicopter carrying 5000 litre LPG tank surrounded by a 10000 litre diesel tank directly above the Kabin at midnight on new years eve.
The explosion created a tsunami which wiped out Home Farm and a five mile radius around the Woolpack.

Now, that's what I call TV:D

Not knowing possibly causes more accidents than information. In the gsr industry people seem largely not knowing about safety and do not see the reason for danger until you tell them. But the Gas Safety Register is supposed to help ensure peoples safety but possibly only if they know what they are being kept safe from. If a person thinks getting in a gsr fitter is going to cost them far more that they can afford and they think the job is easy based on not knowing they will probably have a go themselves. That is not promoting safe practices. By giving out information you are warning them as to the dangers, if they then go ahead and still do it, that problem is theirs. You at least tried to warn them it was not simple. Anyway they can always buy Torreys or Viper books they have been available for years to the general public. A GSR fitters job is to promote safety not form a secret club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one that i often get into arguments over is site generators. Why do carpenters and others think its ok to use a generator by the front door or even worse just inside the property. I even had one carpenter who laughted at me when i told him to move his generator from the front door of the house we were both working in.

Its one thing to be stupid enough to kill yourself, its another to put others health at risk or even worse murder somebody.

Not knowing possibly causes more accidents than information. In the gsr industry people seem largely not knowing about safety and do not see the reason for danger until you tell them. But the Gas Safety Register is supposed to help ensure peoples safety but possibly only if they know what they are being kept safe from. If a person thinks getting in a gsr fitter is going to cost them far more that they can afford and they think the job is easy based on not knowing they will probably have a go themselves. That is not promoting safe practices. By giving out information you are warning them as to the dangers, if they then go ahead and still do it, that problem is theirs. You at least tried to warn them it was not simple. Anyway they can always buy Torreys or Viper books they have been available for years to the general public. A GSR fitters job is to promote safety not form a secret club.

How many times do I have to say no?

Another one that i often get into arguments over is site generators. Why do carpenters and others think its ok to use a generator by the front door or even worse just inside the property. I even had one carpenter who laughted at me when i told him to move his generator from the front door of the house we were both working in.

Its one thing to be stupid enough to kill yourself, its another to put others health at risk or even worse murder somebody.

I had to run a genny in the back of my van earlier this year because it was too large to pull out on my own. I had all the doors open while I was working but thought i'd leave a CO monitor on the dashboard while i was working.

Bearing in mind the van was ventilated and there's a bulkhead fitted the CO detector peaked at 470ppm after only 5 minutes running! (I was fusion welding an LPG service pipe in the middle of a field.)

Needless to say I made sure the genny was turned off and all the doors remained open a good half hour before I got in the van!

if you dont like the way we promote gas safety on this site bernie or agree with the orange headings we would rather you not contribute to the forums,you are on some sort of mission to undermine what we are trying to achieve there is no secret club we just dot want anyone to die by the advice given on here

I had to run a genny in the back of my van earlier this year because it was too large to pull out on my own. I had all the doors open while I was working but thought i'd leave a CO monitor on the dashboard while i was working.

Bearing in mind the van was ventilated and there's a bulkhead fitted the CO detector peaked at 470ppm after only 5 minutes running! (I was fusion welding an LPG service pipe in the middle of a field.)

Needless to say I made sure the genny was turned off and all the doors remained open a good half hour before I got in the van!

atleast you used your head.

it does not take very long for co off a generator to get to dangerous levels. In the USA there are alot of deaths every year from generators, They keep them for backup power when hurricane/twister season hit. Many get them out and use them in there safe room/shelter when the powers down.

you also have to take into consideration your PLI, my old policy required a generator to be used 3m from property to avoid fire damage. I worked on a site many years ago where the plasterer filled his up while smoking, he drop his *** and it when up. His problem was the generator was inside the front door and it burnt half the house down.

We can all do stupid things Croppie and publish it on the website making others think its okay. Seems to me we might be using a set of double standards which says some people can do what ever they want but others must do as they are told. One of the main safety factors is knowledge. A popular DIY expert was on the TV recently and said, I know all about how that thing works but I am not qualified to fix it. It was his knowledge that stopped him DIYing not his ignorance. Incidentally you and "gas man" give me the impression that you now own this site now or is Dan still the boss?Incidentally I was once a moderator on the site for a short time, so I know how far your brief extends. Its a Plumbers forum not a gas fitters and one that is supposedly welcome to all, so lets be a bit more tolerant to others please. If you want to keep things secret go off line and e-mail each other, secrecy is not what a forum is supposed to be about. I know what your viewpoint is, I just do not agree with it that is all. But you seem to project a threatening and bullying attitude all the time, perhaps not intentionally but you still seem to do it.

We can all do stupid things Croppie and publish it on the website making others think its okay. Seems to me we might be using a set of double standards which says some people can do what ever they want but others must do as they are told. One of the main safety factors is knowledge. A popular DIY expert was on the TV recently and said, I know all about how that thing works but I am not qualified to fix it. It was his knowledge that stopped him DIYing not his ignorance. Incidentally you and "gas man" give me the impression that you now own this site now or is Dan still the boss?Incidentally I was once a moderator on the site for a short time, so I know how far your brief extends. Its a Plumbers forum not a gas fitters and one that is supposedly welcome to all, so lets be a bit more tolerant to others please. If you want to keep things secret go off line and e-mail each other, secrecy is not what a forum is supposed to be about. I know what your viewpoint is, I just do not agree with it that is all. But you seem to project a threatening and bullying attitude all the time, perhaps not intentionally but you still seem to do it.

Think I understand why you were a mod for only a short while. If a point blank "NO! These are the forum rules! You need to be of the class of person who is proven and qualified to work on gas and gas appliances as described in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998." cannot be understood nor comprehended then there is something seriously wrong with that individual.

And if you see that as threatening or bullying then you have led a very sheltered life!

And maybe "the brief" was changed after learning from mistakes made in the past

In my experience you have to know who you are dealing with before giving out advise relating to gas work and the context it will be used for. A piece of advise may cover one point, what about the other five points that have to be tested for the work to be safe. A little knowledge can be dangerous, all for the forum rules myself

Markus, if we ask ourselves, did the people who taught us gas fitting ask whether we where suitable to know it, answers that question. I am all for people knowing about gas, its just that the courses relating to safety should be free. The training of gas fitters in the past was usually undertaken mostly by the companies who wanted to use gas fitters. The modern idea of courses leaves it open to anybody so there is no real point in asking who is suitable to know about gas and who is not. As I have said before there is nothing wrong with giving advice it is the person who receives the advices responsibility to use it properly. The same way as a gas tutor views it when he teaches students. So if you inform people about the legal requirements of gas fitting before you tell them and give a disclaimer there is no real reason why you should not tell people.

Markus, if we ask ourselves, did the people who taught us gas fitting ask whether we where suitable to know it, answers that question. I am all for people knowing about gas, its just that the courses relating to safety should be free. The training of gas fitters in the past was usually undertaken mostly by the companies who wanted to use gas fitters. The modern idea of courses leaves it open to anybody so there is no real point in asking who is suitable to know about gas and who is not. As I have said before there is nothing wrong with giving advice it is the person who receives the advices responsibility to use it properly. The same way as a gas tutor views it when he teaches students. So if you inform people about the legal requirements of gas fitting before you tell them and give a disclaimer there is no real reason why you should not tell people.

I don't agree. That's like saying here's a gun. Ill tell you how to use it but if you kill someone that's your fault not mine.

People who undertake gas training have spent a lot of money on it. Like me. They are potential engineers. And obviously seek gas registration in the future.

People on the open forum may be potential engineers also with good intentions ( like myself ). But they may also be diyers or cowboys looking to abuse the info they receive. I
Don't blame ukpf for not taking the chance.

I'd love to be in the GSR only forum as I'd learn a ton. But I understand why I'm not allowed.

Bernie......give up the fight mate!!

Actually I was wrong to use a gun in comparison to gas. A gun isn't going to take a tower block out.

I should have said Bazooka!!

I have said before there is nothing wrong with giving advice it is the person who receives the advices responsibility to use it properly.

Thats where you're argument falls down, trusting others to work safely, stupid people(their out there:hammer: )rarely know they are stupid so shouldn't be encouraged to fiddle by a Internet forum, although that goes against my views on natural selection.

although that goes against my views on natural selection.

Right with you there. If someone could guarantee me that idiots would only do DIY gas jobs on their own detatched houses, miles from neighbours, and before they had polluted the gene pool with more little idiots, I would be all for letting them loose.

Unfortunately, it always seems to be an innocent family member, neighbour or tenant that pays the price.

Some people, gas kills, co kills, if your not registered gas safe and qualified, for gods sake never mess with it. No excuses like man who can't afford! Save up like the rest, beg or borrow, but don't risk yours and your neighbours lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I
No your fine just make sure there registered...
Replies
Views
If you can afford to lose 1/2 or more of your...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
Hi. I have just qualified as a registered gas...
Replies
Views
Back