Halstead Hero 60 CH Boiler problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Halstead Hero 60 CH Boiler problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GaryTheGolfer

Hi All,
I just wondered if anyone had comments/advice regarding the above model central heating boiler.

Once upon a time.....
I bought this replacement boiler for a house refurbishment that I rented out. It was installed by a Corgi plumber in 2002.

A couple of years later the fan seized. (£200 repair by another Corgi plumber).

A couple of years after that the PCB failed and had to be replaced by the newer "digital" PCB (and the corresponding wiring harness). (£230 repair bill with another Corgi....)

OK So the boiler cost £456 to buy and £460 to repair (so far!).

I wrote to the company's MD Brian May (No, not the Queen guitarist) expressing my dissatisfaction and requesting resolution from the company. The faults had happened within 4 years of it being new. The warranty period was 2 years. I realise there is no warranty issue. I hoped for some kind of compensation/offer. I got a **** off letter response that implied I was just unlucky and that there was nothing wrong with their product.

Am I just unlucky? Is 4 years a resonable life for this type of boiler? What should I do the next time it fails? .....I believe this type of boiler can no longer be fitted: so pipework changes will be needed. Are Halstead boilers all unrelaible or is my experience atypical?

What do you think guys?

I dont know much about Halstead as a company but if you are paying £450 for any boiler, let alone a combi boiler, then you are asking for trouble.

You cant polish a turd

Halstead are not bad boilers,however the hero did require setting up correctly,may have been yours was left with the gas pressures to high and was over heating
The Hero was not a combi boiler and pre HE , £450 was not a cheap price in 2002
The only additional pipework required on a replacement boiler would be to run a condensate pipe,which would be the same case for any boiler

4 years isn't good for a boiler but you're stuffed really. I've never been a big fan of Halstead boilers.

These boilers are the biggest pile of poo and Halstead are a bunch of dodgey b's. I had my boiler fitted in 2003 and it packed up just over 2 years later. My neighbours had the same problem a few months later having had the same boiler put in when we both had extensions done. The cost of repair was over £300. The boiler has always made a boom sound when it ignites (not everytime) and locks out usually when both water and heating are on together, although sometimes when heating is on its own and its very cold. Going to replace it in the spring but am very ****ed off that I paid out for a new one 7 years ago and it has never been right!

Halstead are not bad boilers,however the hero did require setting up correctly,may have been yours was left with the gas pressures to high and was over heating
The Hero was not a combi boiler and pre HE , £450 was not a cheap price in 2002
The only additional pipework required on a replacement boiler would be to run a condensate pipe,which would be the same case for any boiler

Thanks for the info: particularly re the pipework. Is that the only mod under today's regs?

The boiler is playing up again (HW is OK but for CH the boiler starts up, makes clunking noises [not the usual fan trouble] and then stops even with Temp setting at max). I'm now thoroughly fed up with this.

If this next repair is too expensive, what would people advise as a replacement boiler? (Bearing in mind this boiler is not a combi). I think the regs have changed now. The Hero is fitted inside a kitchen wall unit carcass.

What would be a good (reliable) boiler? I've learnt my lesson (as a landlord). I just wish I had kept the 25 year old floor-mounted boiler when the kitchen was remodelled. That boiler would have gone on for ever (bearing in mind I don't suffer the running costs!).

The system is (I think....be gentle) a non-pressurised gravity-fed system.

Thanks in advance
Gary

Your best bet is to get a couple of engineers round to give you a price to swap the boiler and ask their advice as to a suitable boiler because a lot of boilers won't fit inside a kitchen cabinet. A lot of boilers now come with a 5 year (or longer) parts and labour guarantee.

Ideal logic + fits in a unit as will the Worcester ri range. Both of which are better than the glowworm in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Check out the vsmart on Vaillant or the migo...
Replies
Views
H
I would be surprised if you need to clean the...
Replies
Views
R
***edit*** Damn you new tapatalk thought i...
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Replies
Views
newcastle phill
N
J
bitter? This language won't be tolerated!
2 3
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
T
yep as gasman says baxi/potterton all day long...
Replies
Views
sparra1100
S
Back