help me grow | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss help me grow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killy Bing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
a few months ago kyle posted up his install and got so good constructive criticism and hey that's how we learn and get better :) I like doing the best i can because hey that's what i want to be know for :) so here's mine :) please, don't hold back :)

1420460_10151860427863929_1954515388_n.jpg
1420201_10151860427868929_1259937079_n.jpg

so !! go ahead :)

Personally I dont do gas boilers but if I put an oil wall hung in and it looked like that, Id be happy. Nice one. I just hope the custard doesnt box it all in and make the vessel, 'magnacleanse' and condensate trap hard to get to on a service.
Nice work.

Looks like your profit went on all those condense fittings..... why didn't you use 90's

It is a decent/neat enough install but you need to learn to think a bit more of how your pipes will land but that will come naturally with time.

Btw it is easy to chritisise even our own work when you sit and look at it.

Ted : i wanted to try to keep the flow from the syphon up as much as i could :) i have no idea if it will aid it or not but here's hoping :)

as i was soldering up the expansion vessel i realised i dropped a bollock with the inline magnetic filter on the cold, if it had leaked i woulda had to fein it out and use slip couplings !!!

thanks tamz, appreciated :)

I'd've turned the waste elbow 90° and ran the condensate horizontally under the expansion vessel then vertically up parallel with the other pipes. Wouldn't have fitted the condensate per heat with it connected to 40(?)mm anyway. Then everything could ave been run plumb and parallel and all clipped at the same height.

Also in case you didn't know, Worcester do a longer telescopic horizontal flue kit in addition to the standard one often doing away with the short extension.

Looks a nice clean job and glad to see somebody putting a bit of extra effort into their installs, I'm never 100% satisfied with mine and for me that's the way to keep improving.

If it was on a shelf - i would buy it!
I think 90s on the condense would have been fine though

Why fit the condensesure thingy?
north facing wall and a 7m external run. so i put it up to 40mm too with a pair of 45's at the bottom.
also if you fit the condensesure you don't have to lag the external pipe :) this place is 200 miles from home, i don't want to be coming back !!

Ted : i wanted to try to keep the flow from the syphon up as much as i could :) i have no idea if it will aid it or not but here's hoping :)

as i was soldering up the expansion vessel i realised i dropped a bollock with the inline magnetic filter on the cold, if it had leaked i woulda had to fein it out and use slip couplings !!!

thanks tamz, appreciated :)

I like the way you appreciate the flow characteristics of a gravity flow, but you will rarely get a problem on an internal condense. The times i have come across uphill condense and waste pipes is a joke. As Tamz says....its easy to be self critical and that is a good trait as questioning your own work will make you work towards better workmanship and design. Avoid elbows when you can increase flow with a bend although elbows are often used over bends for aesthetics.........but that doesn't make it right.....all in good time.

Sometimes you can over think things through. That's not an insult as it shows your actually thinking about things before doing them which is good, but you can also over complicate it to your disadvantage.

personally I'd have spaced the clips to match the boiler valves, straight pipes are the neatest pipes you'll find even if you have the bending skills. I would say you are maybe trying a touch to hard with the bending machine to use the skills you've learnt. Again it's not a bad thing to be handy with the benders but they have there place and so do elbows IMO, the PRV for example would look neater with an elbow and kick if you ask me. Normally other plumbers appreciate the bends as it shows skill. The customers prefer the elbows as it not a big bendy pipe up the wall.. If that makes sense.

Most customers can normally see effort regardless of a 'perfect' outcome though, it counts for a lot so keep it up.

I'm not entirely sure why you've bunched all your pipes together in the centre like that?

Neat enough job, its just confusing to look at.

I'm not entirely sure why you've bunched all your pipes together in the centre like that?

Neat enough job, its just confusing to look at.

my gas, flow and return come into that run of the joists but my hot and cold came from the left, i didnt want to cross them over high so i chose to do it low :) i'm sat here looking at it now thinking of how it would look good with all your snippits of advice !!!!!!

I try and work to the rule of keeping the pipes straight from boiler valves or outlets for as long as possible. So for example, even if you had a mish mash of cross overs at skirting level, if from that point if they run up the wall straight into the relevant connections, your eye is drawn to this and it makes the job look neat and tidy.

I try and work to the rule of keeping the pipes straight from boiler valves or outlets for as long as possible. So for example, even if you had a mish mash of cross overs at skirting level, if from that point if they run up the wall straight into the relevant connections, your eye is drawn to this and it makes the job look neat and tidy.

Like this? ;)

2ebaruse.jpg

thanks nostrum i see your point :)
the guys i did my apprenticeship with....well...... could have as well been suppa plumb !

aha tb i know !! as i soldered up the 22's looking at it i thought........oh balls.

I've just finished my first intergas install, if I remember I'll take some pictures and let you rip into mine tomorrow if you like. The pipes are straight all the way down, it doesn't show off any particular skill mind as the pipes are dead straight down the wall.

When I set out a Worcester I draw a line on the wall dead centre after the jigs been hung, then one horizontally about 200mm from the top and one at the bottom accordingly, then all your clips will at least be level. From your centre line measure and drill 65mm left for your hot clip then 65mm again for your flow clip and lock another 22 clip to that and the condensate will drop straight in. Then the same for the other side at 65mm centres and but lock a 15mm clip to the return pipe and that will be inline for the PRV pipe work. Doing that makes sure everything is parallel, plumb and level. Once your clips are in and sorted the pipe work falls in. Then you can start perfecting the solder! ;-)

Don't be over critical of yourself. The more you do the less thinking you do and the less you think the easier it gets. You just go with the flow .
Then again, i've seen me piping something up then thinking i should have done it this way instead but then i think fk it, its fine as it is.
Most people wouldn't know good pipework from a kick in the rse so we really only do it for our own satisfaction and pride in our work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would suggest getting a G3 plumber in to...
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey All-- New here as this is something I have...
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back