Help, need new boiler but have water flow issues... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help, need new boiler but have water flow issues... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larysa

Hi,

My old Potterton NetaHeat conventional boiler packed up recently and I've had leaks from the HW cylinder so have decided to replace with a new system. However, I have no idea what to go for. Initially I liked the idea of a combi because, having had leaks from the loft tanks before, the idea of no water standing above my head seemed appealing.

I live in a 2 bed, 1 bathroom end of terrace house with an electric shower in the bathroom. As far as I am aware the mains stopcock out in the street services all three of the houses in my terrace. Before the boiler packed up, the water pressure didn't seem brilliant but was ok. After the boiler packed up, the water flow appeared to decrease throughout the house and the electric shower could only be used on 'medium' otherwise the 'low flow' light would come on and the water would be alternately scalding/freezing. However, the water flow now appears to have fallen yet again and now the flow coming out of the hot water taps is minimal (cold taps upstairs ok; kitchen mixer tap poor and outside garden tap poor) and now the shower 'low flow' light comes on even on the medium setting.

I have heard that having a combi requires a decent pressure/flow coming in via the mains. I think this may have been fine before the water flow fell but now I am not so sure and it's an expensive option if I would then need to change the new combi for a conventional. Unfortunately, plumbers quotes/advice so far are split 50/50 between combi and conventional which doesn't help! NB: quotes/advice received so far were b4 the water flow fell for a 2nd time. Also, before this happened, called out Thames Water who said that although flow poor, mains pressure coming in was 5bar. Pipework seems old, can see small drip coming from internal stopcock but no obvious leaks; no 'knocking' when taps turned on.

Any advice as to what might be going on with flow would be much appreciated as money is a major issue and also advice on best system to have as want to make sure the most appropriate is installed.

you could get a respected memeber off hear come have a look and give you a free quote , depending where you are of course

well that counts me out lol ask safegasinstall he`s not too far away i think

actualyy he might be the wrong side of the m1 but it never hurts to ask

I agree give stan (safegasinstall)
A shout he will be able to give you the corect information

There's a couple of problems with living in Waltham Forest, firstly it's had a new water ring main installed, with the main contractors filling peoples boilers with gravel and dirt, when they connected back up. I know this to be the case as I was asked by the contractors to visit untold properties.
Secondly, my next door neighbour is a JCB driver, and he is constantly digging through either gas or water mains. Only the other month he took out Tower Hamlets water supply for a day while working on the Olympic site...

There's a couple of problems with living in Waltham Forest, firstly it's had a new water ring main installed, with the main contractors filling peoples boilers with gravel and dirt, when they connected back up. I know this to be the case as I was asked by the contractors to visit untold properties.
Secondly, my next door neighbour is a JCB driver, and he is constantly digging through either gas or water mains. Only the other month he took out Tower Hamlets water supply for a day while working on the Olympic site...

so hes a good driver then ? lol

Hi, thanks for replies so far. The new mains ring might help explain why I spent so many hours stuck in roadworks around here! As I am new to this forum - should I wait to see if 'Stan' replies to this thread or contact him directly for advice?

Thanks
L

Hi, thanks for replies so far. The new mains ring might help explain why I spent so many hours stuck in roadworks around here! As I am new to this forum - should I wait to see if 'Stan' replies to this thread or contact him directly for advice?

Thanks
L

No give stan a shout see if he can help and if not might be able to recommend someone to you

Also, apart from any water flow issues I am having - I'd be curious to know what the experts on here think about combi vs conventional systems (for a house of my spec) and the associated pros and cons of each.

have just sent pm to op ,will give update later on !
just bought Thomas adventure(Thomas the tank engine) set for my boy and We are having the right fun :)

Stan sent me a message off-forum already re coming 'round to have a look.

Not sure what the form is amongst the plumbers on this forum but I guess it's always sensible to get a second opinion/quote! :)

i only recommended stan cos ive seen his work and trust him , but it is your house larysa . nice name by the way

Stan sent me a message off-forum already re coming 'round to have a look.

Not sure what the form is amongst the plumbers on this forum but I guess it's always sensible to get a second opinion/quote! :)

Stick with stan you won't go wrong mate

no worries , when he gets there dont offer him chocolate bickis with hie tea hes on a diet :)

no worries there - none in the house at the moment - far too tempting!
i'm sure he'll be very pleased to see his mates are looking out for him! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000...
Replies
Views
Simon from Watford
S
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Thanks guys. Just finished and managed to set...
Replies
Views
Thanks CJG, I understand what you're saying. I...
Replies
Views
Back