Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 10 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 191K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

The outside diameter of the 8mm is the same as the inside of the 10mm, i always do it this way, saves on couplings.

Use a cutting of white 15mm Speedfit pipe as a spacer on pipe clips that need fixed further out from the wall. Works really well on the pipe clips for 32mm and 40mm waste pipe where a spacer isn't available to buy. Using longer screws going through two 75mm pieces of Speedfit pipe top and bottom of the pipe clip on the waste pipe I was fitting outside today, I was able to clear a gas pipe without using extra bends.
For copper pipe I use the Talon ones.

When fitting a shower pump and the head is low, make sure the shower head is clean (could be an old shower you're boosting) and check the shower hose isn't one of those nasty Homebase ones with the reduced internal bore.

use industrial wipes to remove silicone, and don't rush things or you'll end up in trouble !!

baby wipes are just as good just so long as they have citric acid in them and a good sight cheaper as well

those rubber smothing off shapeing silicone tools are pretty fool proof

can get industrial wipes for about £4, had mine for ages now

If you cut the nozzle at about 45 degrees with a little practice you dont really need to smooth it off much but those industrial wipes really are the business.

Just put a length of masking tape top and bottom of the joint, apply the silicone, smooth it off with a wipe wrapped round the end of your finger and then remove the masking tape. Perfect neat joints every time.

Yeh used to do that until i got fed up of applying the masking tape. When it gets to the point of sealing everything up i've usually had enough of bathrooms and swear i'll never do another.................... til one comes along.

I use the 3 piece smoothing tools available from Plumbfix....quick,easy and effortless.....and a spot on finish!!!!

when diagnosing faults but dont have the parts and need to book a re-call dont tell the custard the exact problem or you end up with some have a go hero saying he can fix it for cheaper or they try to order the part them selves off the net, remember they are paying for your knowledge its not free :)

Thought I'd read the whole thread before posting my tip just to make sure no-one else had posted it and found GQuigley67's question...

anyone any tips for filing chrome for soldered joints ?? takes to long using the old jeremy kyle

now before you all shout 'Shorty you don't know diddly-squat' I suggest you try this in your garage, I didn't believe it myself when I was told some 15 years ago, then we did it and tested to 10 bar and it absolutely works!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILE THE CHROME OFF of chromed copper pipe before soldering IF you use ACTIVE flux i.e. Laco or Everflux (passive or traditional yorkshire flux won't work)

Now here's the theory. Chromium is very porous, when it's used on steel (ferous) for a decorative finish it has to be plated over nickel (not porous and non ferous) otherwise it would give no protection to the steel and it would rust quick-smart. When copper (non-ferrous) is plated with chrome no nickel is used and as just said the chrome is porous so your solder goes straight through it.

Note; This will not work on stainless steel

When using a spanner in an awkward area put some string/cord through hole in spanner and tie off to something. If you drop it you just pull it out with the string/cord!!

Interesting shorticus, I'll try that although I have to say I have a bench grinder and it makes short work of grinding the chrome off.

Lighting your BBQ with your blowtorch is safer than using BBQ fluid!

Pipe splicers are handy for cutting copper pipe however if theres water in the pipework theres no going back. Alternatively a hacksaw slightly cuts into the pipe at first. When in doubt use a hacksaw!

If powerflushing a heating system and the cylinder is a prismatic type runaway. Or to aviod bursting the cylinders bubble disconnect it and loop the pipework. Personnally I'd leave it alone.

Radiator htg probs:

1. Upstairs rads not working (gravity sys): Check for water in F&E tank (ballcock may have jammed) or check htg pump is working.

2. Downstairs rads not working (gavity & sealed sys): Sys may need cleaned/flushed (cost eg £250.00 for 8 rads and £10 for every rad thereafter. Price incl VAT and chemicals, doesnt incl any valves that may need changing say £15 - £25 per pair depending if TRV or not) or new pump required which is more likely (approx £75.00 incl supply and VAT).

3. All rads up and downstairs cold at bottom but hot on top: Sys needs flushed and cleaned (cost as above).

4. If for some reason a rad stops working close all other rads, put on CH and push hot water through the rad that ain't working. If it heats up there maybe air in sys. If it doesnt heat up valves could be faulty (cost as above, plus time to drain/plug sys plus inhibitor if required).

Note: Vent your rads every 6 months or so and on sealed sys check your pressure gauge is around 1.25 bar. Rem htg inhibitor/protector in your CH sys doenst last forever, replenish every few years and the odd powerflush wont go amiss.

Please note prices subject to change. All work guaranteed till check clears LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

100% fuzzy even if cust insists you should insist more tell them its all part of the service even if you take the rough off and bin it.

All work guaranteed till cheque clears... lol

Always carry a tub of plumbers mait in your van it comes in v handy at times. For example when changing a syphon on a close coupling toilet you notice the spongey flange that sits between the cisterin and the pan is shot to bits its easier to make one up with your plumbers mait than leave the job and run back to the plumbers merchants for a new flange. You can never go wrong extra PTFE either. Better lookin at it than for it!

If you've just frozen a pipe that is over the louge ceiling for instance and you absolutly need to make sure its safe before cutting into it - 28mm gravity circs from a primatic clyinder?

Get a clamp type temporary pipe repair with a rubber gasket and fit it to the pipe with the nuts almost nipped up and then drill a 3mm hole in the top of the pipe right next to it. If it should spray out the slide the clamp over the hole and tighten up.

Always carry a tub of plumbers mait in your van it comes in v handy at times. For example when changing a syphon on a close coupling toilet you notice the spongey flange that sits between the cisterin and the pan is shot to bits its easier to make one up with your plumbers mait than leave the job and run back to the plumbers merchants for a new flange. You can never go wrong extra PTFE either. Better lookin at it than for it!

I always apply Plumbers Gold to syphons,floats and doughnuts and never had a problem......that's tempted fate now!!!!

If you need to replace a gasket on a boiler, say around the burner, cos the old one disentegrates once removed (which happens) and your supplier wont have them for a day or 2 go to your nearest garage/car workshop and buy a sheet of gasket fibre and make your own using the old one as a template. It does the same job! Same applies to oil fire burner gaskets.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you need to replace a gasket on a boiler, say around the burner, cos the old one disentegrates once removed (which happens) and your supplier wont have them for a day or 2 go to your nearest garage/car workshop and buy a sheet of gasket fibre and make your own using the old one as a template. It does the same job! Same applies to oil fire burner gaskets.

er, that's certainly not a good idea on Vaillants and it may even be illegal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back