Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 12 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 191K

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

And the cost of a new scraper, as after heating it up it will be bendy and useless for scraping.

Festive plumbing tips:

We have found a great use for used silicone sealant tubes - we have been using them as moulds for Christmas candles and they are perfect for the job!

Last year we gave the kids some old valve floats with holes cut in them but leave the bottom in. Spray painted they are great for kids chrismas crafts - you can make nativity scenes, santas and reindeer etc inside

Use a cutting of white 15mm Speedfit pipe as a spacer on pipe clips that need fixed further out from the wall. Works really well on the pipe clips for 32mm and 40mm waste pipe where a spacer isn't available to buy. Using longer screws going through two 75mm pieces of Speedfit pipe top and bottom of the pipe clip on the waste pipe I was fitting outside today, I was able to clear a gas pipe without using extra bends.
For copper pipe I use the Talon ones.

I used to do this myself, but since ive been working in more commercial and pipe fitting enviroments lately I now use threaded bar m8 or m10 with a brass bracket and a couple of backnuts obviously with a hinged clip looks a lot neater in my opinion.

When I'm siliconing a bathroom Etc I apply the silicone where it needs to be then using a bottle spray I mix up water and a neautral soap solution, spray the freshly applied silicone and use a decent mastic forming tool to remove excess silicone, leaves it in a great finish and perfectly straight - saves time trying to get tape dead straight down the long runs. Oh and ALWAYS use a good quality finishing silicone.

If you wear shirts for work never put your phone or any other valuable equipment in your top pocket and lean over a blocked manhole!

Thought of one today - it's probably obvious to most, but for what ever reason when you have had to install flexi hoses rather than rigid copper then be very carefull not to twist them or bend in a position that is liable to kink, even temporarily as this cracks the rubber lining inside and is a perfect place for bacteria to store and grow at a later date I.e Legionella.

Thought of one today - it's probably obvious to most, but for what ever reason when you have had to install flexi hoses rather than rigid copper then be very carefull not to twist them or bend in a position that is liable to kink, even temporarily as this cracks the rubber lining inside and is a perfect place for bacteria to store and grow at a later date I.e Legionella.

Hold them as you tighten them. And the cheaper ones are not for potable water. Use the WRAS ones. Best is rigid pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

On your website have a clickable link to email you. Many customers, given the choice, will take the option to pen an email while online rather than phone. After including one I find I can get up to 5 a week.

Thanks watertight wasnt aware I could do that i'll look into it. I'm not too hot on the old computer/giggleywotwots I know just enough to get by but i'll give it ago

The one may be obvious...

When sorting your scrap metal out, remove the little brass screws, nuts and washers from taps, shower valves rad valves etc and put them in a little tin. They really come in handy when you accidently shear off a brass screw when putting Hudson Reed a shower back together!

In that case some numpty had been there before me and failed to fix it, in the process he over tightend a brass screw and it sheared as I undid it.

Also keep back any odd, unusual and weird looking nuts, fittings, strange threads etc from your scrap - you never know when you will need them.

Keep a few good lengths of scrap 3/4" pipe as one day you will be faced with the end of an inaccessible 3/4" compression fitting, which 22mm pipe will not fit into!

Note to newbies to the trade - you need 3/4" olives for 3/4" pipe - Don't try and make do with and squash up a 22mm one!!

Last edited:

Note on Wiped Lead Joints - this came up again on a discussion.

Wiped lead joints may not be used on any pipework or equipment carrying potable water. The regulations actually say that no new lead may be used, rather than referring to wiped joints as such, but a wiped joint by defnition uses new lead.

However this applies to potable water only and there is NO REASON at all why you cannot use a wiped lead joint on pipework not carrying mains or drinking water!!

always check the condition of WC's or basins before installing them, never assume because they are in a nice box that it all is good, check for marks and chips. Check the supplied cistern fittings are good enough for the job and will fit and have sufficient protection for overflow should an inlet valve fail and test the overflow protection works as part of your final commissioning!

When installing any taps sets, use the bubble wrap or some packaging to protect the taps with rubber bands or tape while you install, stop any scratches.

Always .. Always be polite to the customer and clean up after yourself, do leave any bits or metal filings on carpet.

Take a small tub in with you on the job to catch any waste bits, nails screw old washers, nuts .. always keep as many old parts as you can .. you never know when you'll need them

It has also been said on here before .. the job is done when it's done .. don't put yourself under pressure to complete and cut corners this will result in costly call backs and if you p the customer off he or she will tell 10 other people about you!!

Get a wet vac .. advice given to me by somebody which I initially ignore in favour or more expensive tools .. I have used this bit of kit so many times in recent months :)

always check the invoice....... i learned the hard way...... afterall the guy at the merchants is only human.

Don't waste all day draining a gravity fed hot water system, shut off the gate valve which comes from the header tank!

Here's a very useful link. I just came accross it because I was worried about something I did today. I serviced a Potterton Suprima, and hoovered it out.

Then used the hoover later without the filter (as I was sucking water this time) and the hoover blew out a load of dust into my face. Nice.

Anyway, if you want to know whether an old appliance contains asbestos, this list is pretty comprehensive.

Click the link and save it to your PC.
http://www.stop-think-asbestos.co.uk/pdf_downloads/GAS_ELECTRICALAPPLICANCESLIST.pdf

that's fine if the bloody thing shuts off lol

If it doesn't, I'll sometimes use a rubber bung, then change the valve while I'm there. Though in larger houses the standard rubber bungs arent big enough - I think 28mm is too big.

If it doesn't, I'll sometimes use a rubber bung, then change the valve while I'm there. Though in larger houses the standard rubber bungs arent big enough - I think 28mm is too big.
big lump of blue tack :wink: or denso

Best bung for a storage tank is a parsnip. Got that tip on here and it works brilliantly! Plus you get one of your five fruit and veggies after it.

Wrap a roll of ptfe on it then it works fine

Putting many of your tools in the dishwasher cleans them up a treat. Remember to spray with WD40 immediately afterwards

Last edited:

If you shove a turnip or a potato on the expansion pipe and a carrot in the outlet it works a treat as a bung. Be careful not to leave any in there though.

i use a piece of 15 or 22 copper pipe with plenty of ptfe wrapped around the end of it, works a treat! Just use a normal pushfit stopend for the expansion :boat:

Point to note - I discovered yesterday that Oventrop radiator valves and lockshields won't accept some makes of 10-15mm reducing olive sets as the recess in the valve is not long enough. Beware! Best to use a 10/15mm solder reducing fitting instead.

Putting many of your tools in the dishwasher cleans them up a treat. Remember to spray with WD40 immediately afterwards

i tried this earlier, she was happy with the grips and my hammer but she called me kinky when i got the wd40 out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Article
Compex EX 04 fail Hi. I’m new to the Forum...
Replies
Views
Jackson123
J
  • Question
I have some 3 and 4 port valves from them and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
Back