How do you apply your flux? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 6 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its amazing wat you find in peoples house I once found a flue on a room sealed boiler that was on an outside wall but the flue went vertical in to the loft then on a 45 down through the eaves and poped out didnt take a picture but wish I had there was no obstructions not sure why they didnt go straight out the wall strange

I found one installation, where the customer had installed his own boiler, and luckilly not been able to get it to work.

He's used self tappers to screw the old flue to the new boiler (a Biasi boiler - nice).

Anyway I Riddor'd that one. Don't do that very often.

I switched to powerflow today. Been doing a bit of soldering outside on a portable workbench at a job as soldering in a cupboard was a night mare.
Anyway I found that being outside (which is very cold in the snow), laco was burning off before I even took the chill out of the pipe. Power flow on the other hand was my saving grace. Think ill keep the laco in the shed with the other rubbish I don't use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinly with a brush on the pipe and fitting then give the pipe a bit of a twist in the fitting

"EVERFLUX" and steel wool and rub off anything that looks oxidised including my brains...And a good flux brush...Has anyone tried buying these brushes from shops they a total rip-off.

On the pipe with the solder and twist as you insert to the joint as many have said, if your posh use a brush :)

All the soldering I did today - I just fluxed the pipe and no fittings fluxed at all. I was using yorkshire fittings though.
Not turned the water back on yet as finishing off tomorrow :)
Wish me luck!

All the soldering I did today - I just fluxed the pipe and no fittings fluxed at all. I was using yorkshire fittings though.
Not turned the water back on yet as finishing off tomorrow :)
Wish me luck!

All the soldering you did???? I ended up doing your job on my way home....
A day on site then a bath and shower on way home:eek:....cheers for the referral im knackered now:)

Just flux on pipe but both pipe and fitting need to be cleaned with abrasive strip then push in and twist.

back to basics, surely the point is to use a small paint brush, clean the pipe and fitting with wire wool, i use the wire brushes to clean the fittings then apply a little flux, and the important point is to not use too much solder and to move the flame, ive seem fittings burnt black by too powerful a flame and the plumber not moving it to help the solder run around fully, im also old school and dont like to see solder snots hanging from the fittings

The same one as me by the sounds of it!

Wire wool can break up & leave small pieces of the metal on the pipe causing problems with the solder taking properly!!

Small strands of wool get left in the joint, over time these corrode and you get leaks..........simples :)
Or have you too much experience ?

been using wirewool for more than 30years, never had any issues, but its nice to see you have, i check my pipe before i insert it into the fitting.

been using wirewool for more than 30years, never had any issues, but its nice to see you have, i check my pipe before i insert it into the fitting.

You mean you have never noticed any issues. As well as the potential for leaving contaminants on the pipe if you use it near sanitary ware it can leave rust marks after a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Tried Powerflux but it just sits on the van now.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Gonna need the tools. The joint is made with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Conclusion: I stuck a strip of painting tape...
Replies
Views
Tank if forty years old so think it's out of...
Replies
Views
Back