How do you apply your flux? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 8 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone will do it the way that works best for them.

I've always fluxed both and Yorkshire fittings will back me up with that as that is what they recommend.

Last one i bought last year was about a fiver for a wee tin. Use it if you want really neat joints.

Never tried it, what's it like, I mean is it similar to LA-CO or is it white like... like that other one, forgot what it's called lol.

Last one i bought last year was about a fiver for a wee tin. Use it if you want really neat joints.

But how and why does it give neat joints? Never heard of it or seen it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's brown and has the consistency of grease or Vaseline and indeed it is called Yorkshire flux.
It's still available and widely used for soldering electronic components.

I think its none cleaning, the fittings and pipe have to be rubbed bright and the exact correct amount of heat applied, doesnt snot like the self cleaning flux la-co etc

I use steel wool from time to time and much prefer it to strips or sandpaper or fittings brushes or whatever. Everybody to there own thing. Much like 170 posts on how to flux a pipe. It is irrelevant.
How dare you..........

Think I'll give it a try some time. Here it is on Yorkshire's own site for anyone interested: Pegler Yorkshire

Its greeny brown colour. Not self cleaning so your fittings and pipe need to be spotless. The solder only runs where it is cleaned. Fry's fluxite and telux are similar. Smells lovely but nips worse than everflux in a cut. It has zinc chloride in it.
Btw you can make your own flux if you can be bothered. Throw a bit zinc in some spirits of salt and let it dissolve.

Its greeny brown colour. Not self cleaning so your fittings and pipe need to be spotless. The solder only runs where it is cleaned.
I always make sure my pipe and fittings are spotless before applying anyway so I'd hardly be having to change my habits, can't stand seeing people just fluxing a dirty pipe 'because the flux will clean it'. Does sound good this Yorkshire flux though.

Back in the day my tradesman used it for lubricating the o rings of soil pipe. How times have changed!

It used to come in wee tins like the ones used for Kiwi shoe polish didn't it?

I went out to the shed and here are 2 different traditional ones for those who have never seen it. Frys and Telux both much the same as is Yorkshire.
I even sparked up the lamp for a wee sniff of the nostalgia Danny :smile:
015.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 022.jpg

I've a tub of telux in the van i'm sure of it. Unfortunately I'm in Ireland with a pint of Guinness in m hand so can't check :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Tried Powerflux but it just sits on the van now.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Gonna need the tools. The joint is made with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Conclusion: I stuck a strip of painting tape...
Replies
Views
Tank if forty years old so think it's out of...
Replies
Views
Back