Leak | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
What an end to the day i had plodding my way through the morning and get a call about one o clock emergency water pouring through ceiling . Blew electrics in the kitchen and ceiling had come down by time i arrived hour or so later. Eventually traced pipe back to a soldered fitting that had randomly blown straight off !!!!!

Half wrecked the bathroom tho trying to find it like hidden behind tiles , plywood and then chipboard.

Fair amount of whack for it tho !!

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 89
Why did it pop out hammers? was in a 3/4 in a 22mm straight that hadn't quite taken?

Only times that can happen is if the joint hasn't been soldered properly, or, in the most rarest thing I have ever seen - severe freezing like in 2010 winter which expanded fittings and broke the solder

The solder looks a bit iffy, although have seen worse.
That couldn't have just blown off if solder intact. Wonder did it suffer freeze damage from previous winters and just blow off now?

Its an internal pipe in bathroom boxing fully soldered and no chance of it being frozen , literally blew off at midday today i would say over the years solder has weakened imho.

Its an internal pipe in bathroom boxing fully soldered and no chance of it being frozen , literally blew off at midday today i would say over the years solder has weakened imho.

That winter of 2010 froze pipes well inside a house I went to that heating hadn't been turned on. The joints were Yorkshire and professionally fully soldered 100%. Solder just must have split apart when fitting expanded. So it can happen.
On your job, it might have been the flux originally used damaged the solder. Solder can go weak with those acid fluxes. That's why I never use them

Last edited:
This can happen if the joint is disturbed before it cools properly.

H'o the joy of stupid high water pressure in the Plymouth area, problems it causes around here !!

Each of us probably has about 500 joints out there sitting somewhere on the scale between never going to leak and going to leak today. A small percentage may be potential blow-off fodder. Even with good workmanship it's all a little bit of a gamble.

Maybe some really bad water hammer has taken its effect over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'd drop my jacket cos I need both hands! I...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Why not take the bath panel off and take a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Once you break into a sealed pipe you become...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
The bath has been in use for 11 months or so...
Replies
Views
Back