mark up | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss mark up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
makes perfect sense, upset the irish dwarf and we say bye bye, watch and learn.:)

John,s a reasonable bloke, I'm sure he will be fine with it. Plus getting banned isn't going to kill me.
Im watching but I'm not learning.

Girls please, if you you worked together you'ld be best mates. Give it up.:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

not boasting just treying to get across the need to charge proper rates, too many lads going down the drain at present
We will never have a proper rate ! because we are our own worst enemy's , all chasing work all undercutting the last guy , instead of pulling together and all working for the same rate, Yes a price fixing cartel , so all customer gets to choose is who does the job,

Ok let's agree rates

40kw combi swap £35000

24kw system swap with of £6500

210 megaflow swap £4300

Magnaclean £ 750

??????

Ok let's agree rates

40kw combi swap £35000

210 megaflow swap £4300

Magnaclean £ 750

??????

Ok let's agree rates

40kw combi swap £35000

210 megaflow swap £4300

Magnaclean £ 750

??????

Ok let's agree rates

40kw combi swap £35000

210 megaflow swap £4300

Magnaclean £ 750

??????

Just the one job a year? Or do you sometimes squeeze in two?

You'll need that £35,000 when you see what the new merchants cartel is going to charge you for the materials...

I tend to just price things from the public Screwfix catalogue, then order it at my merchants. Most things I get considerably cheaper. The things I don't, I have a word with the manager and he sets up discount for me.

My local Indy suppliers are great, good service, prices and I can get them to drop a single compression tee with half hours notice.
Only bug bear is no trade and retail. So no mark up, but if the customers that way inclined I normally don't get the job anyway.

I tend to just price things from the public Screwfix catalogue, then order it at my merchants. Most things I get considerably cheaper. The things I don't, I have a word with the manager and he sets up discount for me.

use the wickes catalogue, they charge more :)

I made the decision to start charging more this year. Every bathroom project I have put another 25% on to my labour for each one. I have got less jobs but am making more profit than if I had won every job at my old prices. Seems like a result to me.

Knock it up to 33% like I do. I have and it's not hurt my business. If you carry a comprehensive stock in your van you are basically a mini-merchant. You can easily build up 2-3k worth of stock in your van to cover all eventualities. That is money that should be making a substantial profit to cover the amount of money tied up.

If the customer doesn't want to pay that, I have no issue with them going to Screwfix and using their time and fuel to buy what is needed. So please don't just sell at Screwfix prices, you need to cover your diesel and time to go there too. The difference between Plumbfix and Screwfix prices is so small.

U getting in on our price fixing?

Someone mentioned on another thread once about supporting small business. I do sometimes laugh at our industry, loads of one man bands (myself included) all working seperately. We could all make so much more profit for the same price working together under one company. Bigger discounts from suppliers being the main one, but also larger advertising budgets etc.

In the current climate with the likes of British Gas and Tesco etc all competing for our business, I think there's strength in numbers!

With the Internet there's no place to hide mark up. I charge for all my time, collection phone alls etc.

You are wrong in the phrase"hide" mark up, you are a legitimate business and have real honest running costs, ok I see a pcb on the internet for £100 and expect to pay just £100 to you, plus your labour, you need to order it, pay for it then guarantee it for a year, yes it's guaranteed by the supplier but if you fit it for me I'm phoning you to come back when it's not working,
If I fit only because you bought the part for £100, I make it clear I will fit it no prob but I'm only responsible for the labour, if it fails and you phone me back I will call back but I will be paid unless it's a labour issue, pcb isn't even a good example say its a shower, pr of taps cistern, anything, if it fails I will return and if it failed because of the way I fitted it I will fit your new one free, but if you supply the part I can't guarantee it or be responsible so therefore if I supply I have mark up, 20% is a bare minimum! any less and it isn't actually worth working out,

I agree. Its not a question of hiding your markup - better to be open about it, and to sell the benefits and added value that your services bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, as you've said - looks like the...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys and girls first time poster so...
Replies
Views
Hi fixitflav thanks for this wiring diagram...
2 3
Replies
Views
Pm op if your interested if you not don’t post
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back