mark up | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss mark up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lead by example then Ray :)

Lead by example then Ray :)

Its no secret.

You can see our average mark up by downloading our accounts from Company's house, as with any other business over the threshold for filing full accounts. IIRC in 2012, our gross margin was just over 26%, which implies an average mark-up of just over 35%.

Net margins (after paying overheads) would be well down in single figures, and after-tax "bottom line" profit was 3.7% of sales. Believe it or not, thats quite a healthy situation for a merchant, and left enough cash to pay decent bonuses to the lads (and ourselves) and open 3 or 4 more branches.

You're a good sport. I expected you to tell me to **** off!

You're a good sport. I expected you to tell me to **** off!

Its there in black and white at companies house for anyone with an internet connection and a calculator! No point in hiding it, and I don't think there is any reason to be ashamed of running a profitable business.

But if you ask me the mark-up of an individual product, I might be tempted to use some old fashioned anglo-saxon. :)

Some guys who go it alone that i know of say a minimum of 20% and wouldn't have it any other way. Doesn't matter how small a business, got to make a profit at every opportunity as long as it's not blatant robbery.

Tescos and all the other big companies put a ridiculous mark up on some of their their products, they don't make millions upon millions of pounds by accident. When it comes to it I will be putting a healthy mark up on everything, if a customer has any problem I will tell them they are more than welcome to get stuff themselves but if anything is wrong for the job or stuff is missing I will charge for my time either getting it myself or waiting for them to get it.

Yeah. Even when I worked as a manager at Sainsburys in my earlier days, their management didn't get to know the profit on individual items. Me thinks there is a good reason for that :)

suppliers mark up

parts centre £190

plumb base £105

for same pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, as you've said - looks like the...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys and girls first time poster so...
Replies
Views
Hi fixitflav thanks for this wiring diagram...
2 3
Replies
Views
Pm op if your interested if you not don’t post
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back