Permissible drop and TT | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter kirkgas
  • Start date
  • Replies 91
  • Views 2K

Discuss Permissible drop and TT in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you KNOW its on the pipework, haha I'm really glad I started this thread

**** this I'm gonna blow the dust off my GSIUR book and have a read.

You would be better looking in the IGE/UP/1b

But I've only got this one.

Gas_book 001.jpg

That's even worse cause its the old one, get on the GSR website and download the newer version

I'm not actually looking to do gas again, at least not for the forseeable future but I do like to try and keep up with the latest. I'll take a look, cheers. :)

There is no obligation to try and find the leak or confirm its not on the pipework. The moment you start looking for it, you tie yourself up in regulations and will end up capping people off. I personally don't investigate if the drop is within limits unless there is a reported smell or I can smell gas.

What puzzles me is surely if people go around isolating appliances to make sure the leak isn't on the carcass are they then happy to leave the appliances connected knowing they are leaking? A boiler with a gas valve letting by surely needs action taken? Its a failed safety device after all.

Mfgs
You make a valid point, I leave the 2mb drop every time, as you say the next guy shuts all the appliances then confirms one of them is leaking, so he puts the boiler then cooker back in still no drop, he then opens the fire pedestal to find the 2 mb drop, as its on an existing appliance he leaves it, but where is it dropping 2 mob between the ped and inlet side of the control valve
I love this thread

What's with the 2mbar drop, last time Iooked at a book it was 4mbar. Or 16/10ths in old money.

Mfgs
You make a valid point, I leave the 2mb drop every time, as you say the next guy shuts all the appliances then confirms one of them is leaking, so he puts the boiler then cooker back in still no drop, he then opens the fire pedestal to find the 2 mb drop, as its on an existing appliance he leaves it, but where is it dropping 2 mob between the ped and inlet side of the control valve
I love this thread

Its interesting seeing everyone's views. Once you start isolating appliances to see where the leak is you really should be identifying to fixing it, there is no excuse not to.

No requirement to isolate unless I've missed something. All been said in previous posts. That said, if its 3-4 MB I normally do look which is above the requirements. I also ask the question 'you don't ever smell gas, do you?' Suggesting the answer is no, because as said, if you say it when they think your looking for it they will always answer yes.

Heres another one for you.

0.5mb drop with a water u guage, but customer says they can smell gas. Can you leave it, or is this classified as no discernible drop so o.k?

It's not just the gas released you haveto worry about.
There's another safety critical issuethat might cause a problem,

The clever people that do the fancysums your talking about, are not as clever as they would have usbelieve :disappointed:

all will be revealed later :hurray:

Still waiting for the big reveal Johnny.

If they say they can smell gas you have to investigate and rectify or make safe.
again it's 4mbar.

No requirement to isolate unless I've missed something. All been said in previous posts. That said, if its 3-4 MB I normally do look which is above the requirements. I also ask the question 'you don't ever smell gas, do you?' Suggesting the answer is no, because as said, if you say it when they think your looking for it they will always answer yes.

Heres another one for you.

0.5mb drop with a water u guage, but customer says they can smell gas. Can you leave it, or is this classified as no discernible drop so o.k?

Don't always doubt a customer when they say they can smell gas, the smell might be blowing in through the window from next door's gas leak.

If they say they can smell gas you have to investigate and rectify or make safe.
again it's 4mbar.

Yes, but 0.5mb on a water gauge (or 0.25 on an electronic gauge) is classed as 'no discernible drop' so who is right?

I don't assume everyone is lying when they smell gas, but I do try and get an honest answer. As we all know, there are some people in the world who'll always try and make something out of nothing, especially if they have a gripe with the landlord (H.A in particular)

I just ask the question in a way that doesn't make it out like i'm expecting as yes.

When you ask a private home owner. they soon back track when they realise what is required.

Yes, but 0.5mb on a water gauge (or 0.25 on an electronic gauge) is classed as 'no discernible drop' so who is right?

I don't assume everyone is lying when they smell gas, but I do try and get an honest answer. As we all know, there are some people in the world who'll always try and make something out of nothing, especially if they have a gripe with the landlord (H.A in particular)

I just ask the question in a way that doesn't make it out like i'm expecting as yes.

Every days a school day, I didn't know they'd put a figure on no discernable drop.

It has been out for a while now Loe and is usually a question in an acs exam.
It was changed to 0.25mb a wee while back.
This is what it says about it.

Note: A movement of 0.25 mbar or less on a fluid (water) gauge is considered to be “not perceptible”. Therefore, if the gauge is seen to move, it can be inferred that the pressure within the installation has altered by more than 0.25 mbar.
It follows that, where a gauge that can register perceptible movement of less than 0.25 mbar i.e an electronic gauge, is used, the pass criteria of “no perceptible movement” has to
be considered to be a maximum of 0.25 mbar except for those gauges that read to one decimal place when “no perceptible movement” is considered a maximum of 0.2 mbar.

When did that change tamz, sure it was 0.5 and 0.25 before?

Just add (an excuse myself from being wrong!) I have used electronic gauges for a while now so the 0.25 has stuck in my head

Sometime in the last 6 years or so i think. I noticed it when i last did my acs as i wrote down 0.5 without even thinking and it was wrong. Looked it up and it is now 0.25mb

It has been out for a while now Loe and is usually a question in an acs exam.
It was changed to 0.25mb a wee while back.
This is what it says about it.

Note: A movement of 0.25 mbar or less on a fluid (water) gauge is considered to be “not perceptible”. Therefore, if the gauge is seen to move, it can be inferred that the pressure within the installation has altered by more than 0.25 mbar.
It follows that, where a gauge that can register perceptible movement of less than 0.25 mbar i.e an electronic gauge, is used, the pass criteria of “no perceptible movement” has to
be considered to be a maximum of 0.25 mbar except for those gauges that read to one decimal place when “no perceptible movement” is considered a maximum of 0.2 mbar.

another rule change to keep the training industry afloat its the same gas and the same gauge so what other reason can there be?

another rule change to keep the training industry afloat its the same gas and the same gauge so what other reason can there be?

Get a grip, haha, how much did the training centre make extra on each candidate by telling them the change

Get a grip, haha, how much did the training centre make extra on each candidate by telling them the change

£1.37 ?? ;)

as regards changes : changes for the sake of safety or technical improved knowledge are welocmed. the ones i find hard to take are when they change the name of something. When i did my electrical training over a 4.5-5 year period they changed the name of the live,neautral and earth about 3 times. Each time it was "they have changed the name phase to line conductor, so we have to alter all your diagrams and books to suit" the teachers used to laugh about it because it seems to go around in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
M
We have to make the installation safe anyway...
Replies
Views
Martin, I don't think the old rad was venting...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
The lack of knowledge and basic physics is on...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
M
Hahaha i remember something about 200ppm but...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
Back