Scottish Autonomy Pros & Cons | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Plum Bob 66
  • Start date
  • Replies 96
  • Views 1K

Discuss Scottish Autonomy Pros & Cons in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still certain elements I cannot wrap my head round. You want total autonomy yet want to retain sterling as your unit of currency and The Queen as your head of state. You may not be voted into the european union (Though at the moment that's not a bad thing!).

I agree re. the tories, absolutely. the last two PM's were scottish however. I'll let you draw your own conclusion over them!
We would join all the other nations in the commonwealth who share the Queen as head of state. There are many countries in the world who share a common currency, so we would have Sterling. Membership of the EU would have to be applied for as would England, but not one member state voiced any objection when recently asked, in fact quite the opposite, they would welcome Scotland.

Ok the last 2 PM's were "Scottish", but lived, worked and paid their taxes in England, so they were about as Scottish as Prince Charles. They only did as bad as all their English predecessors any way. Remember, Thatcher?!!!

well at this current moment in time the average scot gets £1000 pound a year more than those in england from govt ,
the general revenue that the govt shell out in scotland and what they recieve is a constant shortfall per year ,
to rely on oil as main source of revenue is risky due to a volatile market ,

however england relies on natural fuel from scotland so kinda balances itself out slightly,
my opinion is that britain dominated the world under the union so its not been a bad thing , scotland does o.k from england and vice versa but idf scotland goes alone i do honestly believe that they wont find the times as good without england as with !!

'Scotland needs independence because that is the natural state for all nations.
Independence – which means taking responsibility – will be good for Scotland. And it will be good for England too.
Scotland will more than pay its own way as an independent nation, and the official figures prove it.
Thought you might want to read the facts, not the fiction about poor subsidised Scotland:
The latest statistics show that Scotland has run a current budget surplus in four of the five years to 2009-10.

Meanwhile, the UK was in current budget deficit in every one of those years, and hasn’t run a current budget surplus since 2001-02.
Scotland accounted for 9.3 per cent of UK public spending in 2009-10, but contributed 9.4 per cent of overall UK tax revenue.
The international comparisons also show that Scotland is more than capable of paying its way.
One of the reasons of course for that healthy position in comparison to other nations is that Scotland has a trillion pound asset base in the form of our remaining North Sea oil and gas reserves.
And, as recent announcements have shown, there is still plenty of life left in Scotland’s offshore oil and gas industry.
Even David Cameron has admitted that Scotland’s oil will be flowing for 'many, many years' to come.
But independence is about much more than just the country’s cash balance.
It will mean talking on all the rights and responsibilities that come with being independent – and above all it will mean Scotland speaking for ourselves in the world.
That is so important when it comes to many of Scotland’s vital interests like fishing and farming.
Scotland and England will continue in a social union after independence, which means we will still have strong bonds of friendship and family ties.
People will still be able to visit relatives over the border and watch their favourite TV shows – just like those in independent Ireland already do.
We will give the people of Scotland the chance to choose independence in the second half of this parliamentary term, just as we promised in this year’s Scottish Parliament election.
And when Scotland does become independent, England will lose a surly lodger and gain a friendly neighbour.'

Read more: Scottish independence: Alex Salmond and Michael Moore on the referendum | Metro.co.uk

Can believe your having a debate with amany who's been on tv
I know Lee, I feel it's like Bannockburn all over again on here in this thread, the few against the many. Still we won that one too! LOL

I personally wouldnt read to much into that spin !
Not spin, thats fact and backed up by the UK Treasury.

Seems to me, people in England see all the good things happening here and can't get it so they moan about them having to pay for it. What crap! Go and do something about it, if we can get these things so can you!

A good debate, but I'm off for a beer, will come back for round 2 tomorrow night lads!

Everyone have a good (and prosperous) Monday.

Theres no fact in spin , fact is scotland had a 1.3 billion shortfall last year . Myself i am not bothered at all and have done o.k living in england . regarding last two primes being scottish you will find nearly all of blairs staff and fellow mp's were either scottish or of scottish background so scotland has been running britain anyway at one point

now we are stuck with a public schoolboy toff :(

What's the immigration policy going to be like?, wha about border control? What about the poor souls who live just north or just south of the border. 'Sorry luv, can't make it today, forgot to pick up me passport'

Better start building the wall back up we might need to keep them out when it all goes **** up.

I'm against separation as I think the double cost to fund everything is not worth the bother and I'm also concerned its the first move towards us being a republic which I'm totally against

why does greece keep popping into me head?
cut them off and let them sink.

Whatever the outcome of the referendum, the debate can now properly start without interference about how it should be run from Westminster.

Oh that was a good one posted earlier, passports at the border! LOL

I agree on the passports , you've made your beds lie in them no coming south when it all goes south

why does greece keep popping into me head?
cut them off and let them sink.
Yeah, yeah, the UK only scraped through the banking crisis and has to date borrowed trillions with no end in sight. In fact, this Tory/Lib coalition has borrowed more than Gordon Brown did. We could easily have been like Greece as other major EU nations like Spain and Italy are heading.

I agree on the passports , you've made your beds lie in them no coming south when it all goes south
Why would there be passports? Both countries would be member states of the EU.

I think you'll all be coming North for a better standard of living. At least we look after our citizens up here and don't burden our kids with a lifelong tuition fee debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
What will supply energy to the HIU? Does your...
Replies
Views
Your sacrificing your kop to run that the heat...
Replies
Views
Have a look at pipekit
Replies
Views
If this is your model, some of your questions...
Replies
Views
As above you definitely need to look at the...
Replies
Views
Back