Signing work off? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Signing work off? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Very good post here, but really it makes no difference to servicing a boiler that was installed before all the signing off came in, you may be unlucky enough to miss something and cos your the last one there your liable for the installation not the dodgey installation installer, and I do not sign off any work not worth it !

signing off someone elses work should never happen, i have been asked to do it but have always refused. not only are you putting your name to work that you havent done but also killing our trade and encouraging anyone out there who watches a diy program on telly to have a go. if everyone refused to do it then people would stop asking, but i have heard many times down the years guys saying i would rather go and do that and earn a few quid that sit at home all day earning nothing.some people like to call our industry a profession, its never that because we dont stick together like a professional body its every man for himself and always has been.

Good post supaplum, we should be batting for the same side, I do believe that some are beginning to understand that this would be of benefit, which of course means that some are not!

I personally think that the only way that all gas appliances will be registered is if it hits customers in the pocket.if every appliance has say £300 added on to it by the manufacturer and when the appliance is installed and registered the £300 is then sent to the installer or customer.this would stop all the GSR installers doing cash installs and GSR installers that work for company's doing installs on the side.and also DIY.but let's not kid are selfs a lot of installs done by fully registered installers look like DIY work.i personally think we work in a industry where the quality of work is poor.and possibly why most installers stay on there own and don't grow the business.

I think our main problem isnt unregistered engineers, its legit ones who cut their own throat and ours by doing installs for materials + £150, its just crazy some of the quotes im getting beat on

Either that or my merchant is pulling my pants down:smile:

It seems every new self employed gasman wants to undercut everybody!!!
yep im getting the same, at one time i was getting most boiler changes i was quoting, not bcos i was cheap but people get you out and they just want a good job doing. thats all changed in recent times and its all down to money. and theres loads of guys out there looking for work and just undercutting everybody to keep busy. you can spot them in the merchants covered in crap eyes hanging out from working seven days a week for the last 5 years. busy fools !

I purposely put my price anywhere except the last sentence of the last page, I was slightly satisfied when a customer rang to say he got my quote, but there was no price on it, I told him 'that is because it is on page 2, you obviously missed that when you went right to the last page for the costs'!!!

I am RGI but do very little in the line of service or repairs simply because I hate the thoughts of signing off on a system that could have a hidden fault.

Maybe change the wording from Gas Safe to something like Anti Explosion Testing.

Seriously this must be one of the only industries where we are in control of an explosive entering a domestic or commercial premises, even Airports and
yet from what I see one of the lowest paid?

Recently I was asked to tender issuing Gas safe certs also known as a service to gas boilers for a local authority, so before the official tender I threw
out a figure for the Clerk of Works just looking to see if I could get a guide.

I got a lot more in fact I reckon he hasn't slept properly because he hasn't stopped laughing, I was over 4 times higher than the expected figure
which was a drop of €4.00 on last years price maybe not the exact numbers as it was pre-tender but a major shock to me.

How many have forgotten the Gas Safety modules and the exams?

They expect to meet or even beat their expected figure because so many have qualified doing courses and are now able to legally register as RGI's.

Looks like the nine minute gas boiler service is going to continue getting faster until there is a major tragedy, I would not like to be the RGI that day.

I think our main problem isnt unregistered engineers, its legit ones who cut their own throat and ours by doing installs for materials + £150, its just crazy some of the quotes im getting beat on

Either that or my merchant is pulling my pants down:smile:

I totally agree.
For example - Mr TP now mid 40s trained as apprentice from 16 - so has a bit of experience behind him.
We are lucky, we are busy and making a good living - BUT not from gas work. We could totally give up being GSR for what it brings in for our family. Our main income from Tara Plumbing is plumbing and associated work that require NO formal qualifications, trade body etc...

That just seems mad - you would think being qualified and GSR would give you access to well paid work that the Vast majority of the population can't do.
Any one can do tiling (even I have done it!) - but the tiler seems to earn as much or more!

Recently we quoted for a complicated 4-5 day heating job and 2 others under cut us by £2k! How did they do that?
OK if they were not VAT registered that gives them a head start anyway but they must be desperate for the work!
Because they certainly are not putting a high enough value on the fact of their training... etc.
(BTW the customer assured us that they were like to like quotes).

Tilers do make good money, but tiling is horrible. I can do it to a good standard, but not quickly. Nearly all the tiling on my portfolio was done by my father, brother or the carpenter who works for me. He's probably the best tiler I've ever met, but by trade he's a joiner.

Tilers do make good money, but tiling is horrible. I can do it to a good standard, but not quickly. Nearly all the tiling on my portfolio was done by my father, brother or the carpenter who works for me. He's probably the best tiler I've ever met, but by trade he's a joiner.

I hate tiling :( but it doubles profit on bathroom jobs so I end up doing it.

I find it doesn't double the profit for me, as it takes me longer than someone who's better than me!

I own a £1400 Rubi Bridge saw, which makes life a little easier, as it is a joy to use, but a bit of a beast.

I tiled the floor of the last bathroom we did. Quickly remembered why I avoid it!

I find it doesn't double the profit for me, as it takes me longer than someone who's better than me!

I own a £1400 Rubi Bridge saw, which makes life a little easier, as it is a joy to use, but a bit of a beast.

I tiled the floor of the last bathroom we did. Quickly remembered why I avoid it!

I charge the same for tiling as I do for plumbing. Based on a day rate. If they dont like my rates they can find their own tiler, but i find that putting in a price for the whole job works in my favour. And usually there's more tiling work than plumbing.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Pump/feed/expansion are piped/in wrong...
Replies
Views
That's galvanised box corrogated steel decking...
Replies
Views
Back