Stuff it that's that done | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stuff it that's that done in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 35
You sorted yourself back out yet Steve?
no mate cant decide what to do for the best seems everything is difficult took the fga in for calibration and they cant do it like me to old
cant get site work as my cscs has expired cant get that till october 1
thought of advertising but things have changed last timee i did local papers it got no work
and internet advertising seems to be like chucking money down a drain i did 500 quid with a web site a couple of years ago and that was useless thinking about leafleting all the estate agents round here see if i can get servicing ll certs boiler repairs
sods law i kept the van till 9 months in to the job sold it then jacked a month later
ive now got another small van and just finished securing it and some racking tool store etc
not desperate for money at the moment so no rush
company were big time taking the pishapart from the distance issue i dont think wages were righ more than 2 months out of 10 septembers was 24 hours short and the last month was 28 short always got it the next month up till then but two months running was a step to far for me
i was on flat engineers money but they had started passing me the jobs that had been looked at by 3 and 4 engineers already knowing i would sort it they had no system to let you know what had been done on previous visits so you were going to jobs with parts that had already been swopped
one job they had sent three engineers since febuary to a system that was only getting luke warm and all thre had put system restorer in when the fault was the stat knob was on wrong and boiler only reaching 40
another i went to with a pump and realising it definitley wasnt a pump phone round till i found who had ordered it when i spoke to the guy he said he didnt know what was wrong so ordered a pump b to get away from the job
company was really bad at back office stuff expected us to sort everything i had the van broken into and i had to get police numbers notify insurance get estimate etc they did bugger all but expected you to do all that and a full days work
some days they were giving me 18 services or 15 breakdowns with an average mileage of 60 miles more you did more they gave you
so i was no better of working for them as i had the same problems as working for myself couldnt get paid to much back office work and working harder than ever
rant over bet your sorry you asked lol

no mate cant decide what to do for the best seems everything is difficult took the fga in for calibration and they cant do it like me to old
cant get site work as my cscs has expired cant get that till october 1
thought of advertising but things have changed last timee i did local papers it got no work
and internet advertising seems to be like chucking money down a drain i did 500 quid with a web site a couple of years ago and that was useless thinking about leafleting all the estate agents round here see if i can get servicing ll certs boiler repairs
sods law i kept the van till 9 months in to the job sold it then jacked a month later
ive now got another small van and just finished securing it and some racking tool store etc
not desperate for money at the moment so no rush
company were big time taking the pishapart from the distance issue i dont think wages were righ more than 2 months out of 10 septembers was 24 hours short and the last month was 28 short always got it the next month up till then but two months running was a step to far for me
i was on flat engineers money but they had started passing me the jobs that had been looked at by 3 and 4 engineers already knowing i would sort it they had no system to let you know what had been done on previous visits so you were going to jobs with parts that had already been swopped
one job they had sent three engineers since febuary to a system that was only getting luke warm and all thre had put system restorer in when the fault was the stat knob was on wrong and boiler only reaching 40
another i went to with a pump and realising it definitley wasnt a pump phone round till i found who had ordered it when i spoke to the guy he said he didnt know what was wrong so ordered a pump b to get away from the job
company was really bad at back office stuff expected us to sort everything i had the van broken into and i had to get police numbers notify insurance get estimate etc they did bugger all but expected you to do all that and a full days work
some days they were giving me 18 services or 15 breakdowns with an average mileage of 60 miles more you did more they gave you
so i was no better of working for them as i had the same problems as working for myself couldnt get paid to much back office work and working harder than ever
rant over bet your sorry you asked lol

Not at all mate, but I think you feel better for getting it off your chest!

They sound a bloody nightmare!

Steve have you tried corgi. The money isn't amazing but it's all within 20 miles from your house. And you get loads of work of the back of it powerflushing, rad moves, stuff not covered by contract.

I have worked for a company that sounds exactly the same (the odds are though 13 jobs your bound to come across a bad egg or 2) they were a nightmare I was constantly arguing with management and office staff about distance travelled to job amount of jobs etc.

There are a few decent jobs out there but not 1 is perfect everyone has it's downsides. Generally small companies are better to work for but you don't have the job security and wages are generally less. Larger companies the money is more but you become just a number. Any company dealing with HA have generally cut the price that much they have to get people round as many cp12 as possible, they generally couldn't care less about the workforce.

I keep thinking of going back on the books and reading this thread has reminded me why I went self employed in the first place, To get my life back in my hands not in the hands of some greedy manager.

Steve have you tried corgi. The money isn't amazing but it's all within 20 miles from your house. And you get loads of work of the back of it powerflushing, rad moves, stuff not covered by contract.

rob whats the craic with corgi do you mean advertising with them or working for them if the later whats the job ?

rob whats the craic with corgi do you mean advertising with them or working for them if the later whats the job ?

Yeah ah they use Subbies to do all work. It's services and breakdowns. They can be a pain when they question parts costs etc but just submit a copy of your invoice from the merchants and they pay it. I should imagine in your knock of the woods they have loads of contracts. I'll get you the number to call when I get home tonight

So had a call completely out the blue today.

Could I come in for a meeting ASAP as we have a job you may be interested in.

Slightly confused by it all it transpires my mate is an electrician for them and they have opened up a mechanical devision and need men like yesterday as it's really picked up over the last 6 months. And he put me forward for it. Which is all coincidence as we haven't spoken in a few months and he knows nothing about my current employment situation or desire to get back on the commercial scene.

The bloke seems keen to see me he is even waiting till 18:30 for me as I'm tied in with a tracker and everything at work.

So had a call completely out the blue today.

Could I come in for a meeting ASAP as we have a job you may be interested in.

Slightly confused by it all it transpires my mate is an electrician for them and they have opened up a mechanical devision and need men like yesterday as it's really picked up over the last 6 months. And he put me forward for it. Which is all coincidence as we haven't spoken in a few months and he knows nothing about my current employment situation or desire to get back on the commercial scene.

The bloke seems keen to see me he is even waiting till 18:30 for me as I'm tied in with a tracker and everything at work.

Happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there, My organisation - the CIPD - is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks I'll give that a go. I assume...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Never use sealant prior to applying PTFE or...
Replies
Views
Hope with your case you reported it to trading...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done, BUT, does it work and then does it...
Replies
Views
Back