Unvented course | Plumbing Courses | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unvented course in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

For a bath it's a mixing valve Correct, well done.
And don't have a clue on the 15mm open vent And can't be bothered to get laptop tbo Now Gray please try harder & don't talk to teacher like that.
And I wouldn't put in an pen vented heating system with an unvented cylinder anyway Gray, you really must read the questions properly if you want to pass this exam.
Over here jase we do it through building control

You took far to long in answering these mock exam question, as you were told you only had 10 minuets, this really is not good enough boy, how do you expect to pass the exams if you don't pay attention in the lesson (training), See me after school !! :hand:

You took far to long in answering these mock exam question, as you were told you only had 10 minuets, this really is not good enough boy, how do you expect to pass the exams if you don't pay attention in the lesson (training), See me after school !! :hand:

Sorry taking my wee girl to bed is more fun

This is an unvented cyclinder that went boom in the next village. The pic doesn't really show the damage caused, or the road closures for all of the emergency vehicles. Sadly I've never found out what happened to the idiot that fitted it...

[DLMURL="http://www.wareonline.co.uk/news/article.asp?id=153"]Ware Online - News - Explosion in Station Road[/DLMURL]

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...thread-immersion-element-4.html#ixzz2DH5f5DMN

Thanks to veggie dave for this one. (he didn't install it LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of one that blew up in N.I. a legal battle for damages in the high court which may still be going on.

Commercial premises 300 litre stainless with two immersions fitted, installation was sound problem was the thermostat failed in the immersion and the PRV didn't release.

Took out a big chunk of the roof and a block wall beside it, no casualties which is probably why it didn't get any press, I have been promised pictures when the case is finished.

I know of one that blew up in N.I. a legal battle for damages in the high court which may still be going on.

Commercial premises 300 litre stainless with two immersions fitted, installation was sound problem was the thermostat failed in the immersion and the PRV didn't release.

Took out a big chunk of the roof and a block wall beside it, no casualties which is probably why it didn't get any press, I have been promised pictures when the case is finished.
What about the overheat on immersion? Can't see all failing inc temp and pressure relief unless someone had been playing around!

What about the overheat on immersion? Can't see all failing inc temp and pressure relief unless someone had been playing around!

Vern, when I have the full details I will let you know, obviously someone is going to pay so I expect that will be the party who is deemed to have caused the fault.

Hi All,
got m unvented course tommorow, any pointers or advice or questions, much appreciated.

I know very little except that it is a 1 day course.

Is there an exam at end? is it easy or hard? do you know straight away if you pass / fail?

ask them if putting a blow off into a soil is the run done in pushfit or solvent weld - half the training centres have not got a clue - i was told solvent weld when its push fit - let me know what they say

Or could it possible be that when Part G of the building Reg's changed in 2010 (& it was publicised in the trade press) only a few silly people like me bothered to down load it (all free of charge) & read it to find out what was now required by the law ?

Of course you would now know what is required to be installed to every newly installed bath (not replacement for some reason) QUOTE]

off the top of my head isnt this new builds only ? i think it doesnt apply to extensions etc i might be wrong just trying to remember

Or could it possible be that when Part G of the building Reg's changed in 2010 (& it was publicised in the trade press) only a few silly people like me bothered to down load it (all free of charge) & read it to find out what was now required by the law ?

Of course you would now know what is required to be installed to every newly installed bath (not replacement for some reason) QUOTE]

off the top of my head isnt this new builds only ? i think it doesnt apply to extensions etc i might be wrong just trying to remember

If the extension required planning then it will be required for any new bath installed, it is my understanding that it is only where it is a like for like swoop where the blending valve set to 48deg C max is Not required. Although I would be suggesting to the client to have one installed, what are they to buy £40-50 for a TMV2, as I understand it more people die each year from scalding than from CO poisoning, let alone the scarring. We should have followed Scotland you introduced this close to ten years ago.

BTW, Answer to earlier question = 15mm open vent on HW cylinder, which can't be increased to the minimum 19mm ID can have a Temperature relief installed into the hot water outlet close to tapping & sized / treated like an un-vented.

just for an update, in the college, they showed us a wrong installation and it had solvent weld 42mm waste pipe and when I mentioned it was wrong material they said it really didnt matter.

but more to the point, how come you have to have guttering 3 metres away from blow off. The pipe must be facing a wall or lowered into a drain, i.e. yet we can put a hepvo valve and plastic pipe 2ocm away from the cylinder?

Jase it is all garbage theory stuff. If running to plastic you need to run your D2 in PP (push fit) which runs into a uPVC drain (never yet come across a polypropylene 4" pipe).
All if's and buts and give us some more cash.
Unfortunately we are stuck in this training cycle which will never go away as there is too much money to be made from it.

Similar plumbing topics

It’s more of a thing in commercial eg dead...
Replies
Views
6035 is the diploma, 6189 is the NVQ. 9189 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m hoping I find some luck here, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm looking for suggestions on...
Replies
Views
S
I just moved into a house with an ACV Heat...
Replies
Views
Sam007
S
Back