W-plan pump run on | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss W-plan pump run on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

not sure why they have labelled it as normally closed.....it is closed whilst calling for heat, exactly as shown
That is standard nomenclature. The contacts "normally closed" are connected when the thermostat is not doing anything, i.e. not hot.
When heat is applied, i.e. the system is activated to produce heat until the set point is reached, then the contacts will eventually open and the heating stops.
If you called them 'normally open', and you connected those contacts to the heating, nothing would happen!

Same with a relay. "Normally closed" means the unactivated state.
I was just brought up with this convention in electronics, and don't understand the issue!

surely "normally" equates to satisfied - i.e. the water HAS heated up and no further action is needed....so in its' normal state it is satisfied .....the connections and make / break indications are correct, just the nomenclature is confusing
in a roomstat the contacts are normally (i.e. satisfied) open, closing when heat is required
we could probably argue and counter argue this until the cows come home.....😁

the only other thing I can think of - but dont understand why - is that the 15mm bypass gate valve around the pump was open about 2 turns
As the system has no TRV's I have fully closed this now.....could it have possibly affected anything ?
I understand WHY it is provided on a system with TRV's but not in this installation........this is a W-plan system remember so surely as the diverter will be either HW or CH (or, if it ever gets stuck, somewhere in between as was the original issue) and with no TRV's fitted to any rads there is no need for a bypass valve / loop as the water will always have somewhere to circulate

Last edited:
This is similar to your one, I think the description might be less confusing if it just left out the "Normally" and describe it like on the EPH pipe/cylinder stat.

1725967916241.png

Attachments

• EPH pipecylinder Stat Wiring.jpg
    EPH pipecylinder Stat Wiring.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
the only other thing I can think of - but dont understand why - is that the 15mm bypass gate valve around the pump was open about 2 turns
As the system has no TRV's I have fully closed this now.....could it have possibly affected anything ?
I understand WHY it is provided on a system with TRV's but not in this installation........this is a W-plan system remember so surely as the diverter will be either HW or CH (or, if it ever gets stuck, somewhere in between as was the original issue) and with no TRV's fitted to any rads there is no need for a bypass valve / loop as the water will always have somewhere to circulate

One could understand if the bypass was between the boiler flow and return because (on a Y plan anyway) a separate 2 port Motorized valve is supposed to be installed additionally on the cylinder coil because it fails shut whereas a MPV or Diverter valve will fail open to the cylinder.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
John Thank you for all your help, changed the...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
Hi It seems like i have exatly same problem -...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back