worst situation | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter hunterseye
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 8K

Discuss worst situation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've shared mine allready.

My father has loads of these stories.

One of my favourites is when he was working in London. He had the contract to fit new central heating to a few tower blocks. He was a cocky git back then and if he had problems from the tenants letting him or his blokes in to do the work, he would simply cut there services off. Everything.

So he did this to this bloke, who was jumping up and down and very peed off. But the job got done.

A couple of weeks later my dad got the gig to do something with the soil pipe. (don't know the details) anyway he sent a letter out to everyone in the block asking them to not flush their toilets or sinks ect between a certain hour.

He was in the man hole, and had unscrewed the joint of the cast iron soil when he heard it coming from the 28th floor.

All he could do was turn his back and pull up the lapels on his boiler suit. He got covered. He reckons the fella must have treated the family to a curry the night before and then stock piled the loo contents as it was un-natural.

Believe me, he was such a cocky git back then he probably deserved it. Would have loved to have seen it, but I was about 9 at the time!!

I've just remembered one I had a good few years ago.

12 Storey office block. Each floor was rented out separately and had it's own sanitary facilities and kitchen. The gate valve wouldn't turn off in one of the toilets so I arranged to go in on a Sunday, turn off the down service to the entire block and replace it.

The 2" gate valve in the tank room on the roof turned off beautifully and I swapped the valve over. Went back up on the roof and turned back on. Checked my work and it was all good. I then replaced the tap that was the reason for needing to isolate that floor.

I packed up my tools and headed out into the stairwell to be greeted by a waterfall coming down the stairs. I rushed up the stairs to see water rushing out under the door of the sanitary accommodation of the next floor up. There was no one about so I had to boot the door in. When I got in the spout of the water heater was swivelled away from the sink and pouring water all over the floor. An easy fix but it seemed very strange to me.

When I went back the next day to repair the door it transpired that the cleaner for the company on that floor had decided to go in on the Sunday instead of his normal Saturday afternoon. He had placed his bucket on the floor, swivelled the spout of the water heater round and turned it on. When no water came out he put the bucket away and went home without bothering to turn the water heater back off.

The managing agents billed the tenant of that floor for the cost of repairs to the door and the mopping up costs, which luckily wasn't a lot as the staircase was polished concrete.

Awesome Jules but surely the missus smelt ya coming or you bin all your clothes and go home naked :)

just my head and my high viz jacket went in it was a proper face plant into the shyte. a foot either side and i would have had a broken nose and teeth. cust in between laughing and wretching himself hosed my head down. threw the jacket in the bin and went home to the shower, 2 bottles of lynx shower gel and an hour later came out smelling off roses. clothes in wash and missus none the wiser when she came home from work.

I don't think Jules really cared! I'm really glad I've never been in one of these situations, I think I would vomit out my stomach lining!

i left the rods there and cust did it himself later on in the day he said once he had gained enough courage. we both had a good laugh about it when i went back next day to pick them up.

I flooded the main reception of formula one offices in biggin hill. Mr eccelston was out that day though. And I got 5ks worth of work! Always a silver lining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
So, I solved this with a pan connector with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
No, social housing landlord 😳
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks for your response mate. Im not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the responses, I'll be on the phone...
Replies
Views
Back