ARCHOVED Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss ARCHOVED Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box

Here's a photo of a "Magic Heating Box" installed. (Are you supposed to have a balanced flue installed right under an airbrick?)

[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/"]Mr and Mrs Brown install new revolutionary Magic Heating Box!! |[/DLMURL]
The is just speil and that pump is a no no in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's a photo of a "Magic Heating Box" installed. (Are you supposed to have a balanced flue installed right under an airbrick?)

[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/"]Mr and Mrs Brown install new revolutionary Magic Heating Box!! |[/DLMURL]

If that pic is one of the better installs I'd be very worried!

The speil is bullocks and that pump is a no no

Definitely. Reading the article is the customer not just experiencing the benefits of a flushed system with new radiator valves?

Dont forget the AAV @ £1.00 each ! There is an important lesson here - which is as Ray pointed out there are no magic solutions and just cause something is patented does not mean it is suitable or economical.

centralheatking

I'd like to see the inside of that box.

I personally would of changed the boiler for A new one. I keep watching more videos on this.

That looks and sounds like a low loss header in a box..... Do they have to have two pumps ? One for boiler circuit and another for CH and cylinder circuits?

Hi everybody,

I'm new in this forum. I'm an italian engineer who have met today Tim Cremlin presenting his "Magic Heating Box" in Italy. After two hours with him I've understood just a think. It can not work. It's just a low loss header design to mix the temperatures of the boiler and send water to the radiators at lower temperature. He told me about 30% of savings, but I think it can not be true. Just a piece of nonsense for me. In Italy we are use to increase efficiency of about 30% of our gas plants installing condensing boilers plus thermostatic valves on the radiators at the same price (about 3000€) and the results are insured.
He told me he have already installed 2000 box in UK, can anyone confirm this? Who can pay 3000€ for an iron box with a low loss header inside? Are you kidding me?
Anyway I just lost 2 hours of my time.

Hi everybody,

I'm new in this forum. I'm an italian engineer who have met today Tim Cremlin presenting his "Magic Heating Box" in Italy. After two hours with him I've understood just a think. It can not work. It's just a low loss header design to mix the temperatures of the boiler and send water to the radiators at lower temperature. He told me about 30% of savings, but I think it can not be true. Just a piece of nonsense for me. In Italy we are use to increase efficiency of about 30% of our gas plants installing condensing boilers plus thermostatic valves on the radiators at the same price (about 3000€) and the results are insured.
He told me he have already installed 2000 box in UK, can anyone confirm this? Who can pay 3000€ for an iron box with a low loss header inside? Are you kidding me?
Anyway I just lost 2 hours of my time.

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum. The Magic Box website says they already have a distributor in Italy - in Cremona - is that anywhere near you?

Magic Thermodynamic Box, Thermodynamic and hot water system, boiler, solar power heater

€3,000 you say? That's a lot cheaper than what is being charged in the UK - we've heard £8,000 or even £13,000. Or is that the price Tim Cremlin is asking from distributors?

Yes, I'm from near Cremona and was exactly the distributor that called me to check the system and understand if it's a scam. The cost of about 3000€ is just for the box without the set-up of the plant.

Yes, I'm from near Cremona and was exactly the distributor that called me to check the system and understand if it's a scam. The cost of about 3000€ is just for the box without the set-up of the plant.

Sorry, I don't quite understand you. Are you saying that Universal Connections from Cremona asked you to attend a presentation by Tim Cremlin, and give your opinion?

Yes, I attended a presentation by Tim Cremin and Universal Connections asked me my opinion

Hi guys I actually a attended one of theseseminars at Chelmsford to look at the heating management system and to behonest was very skeptical, after the presentation It made sense but I couldn'tget my head round it as it in theory defies the laws of plumbing as we know it.I asked if I could see an installation and if there was any work as I wouldlike to complete some installs myself. They were very helpful and I was out onan install for site training the very next day, as crazy as it may seem the systemwas fantastic, the complete radiator heated up within 20 mins on a 16 radsystem, the delta T was reduced to 3 degrees which I did not think waspossible. consequently I have know installed 10 of these systems which I canassure you have all improved the customers heating, I actually went back to twoof the customers to see how the system was performing as they were local andthey have noticed a significant change with theincrease speed with the property heating up performance of the all radiators (all being the same temperature) and the boiler running for less time thannormal. One of the two customer has actually turned there room stat down from21 to 19. I really think this is going to take off.

Hi guys I actually a attended one of theseseminars at Chelmsford to look at the heating management system and to behonest was very skeptical, after the presentation It made sense but I couldn'tget my head round it as it in theory defies the laws of plumbing as we know it.I asked if I could see an installation and if there was any work as I wouldlike to complete some installs myself. They were very helpful and I was out onan install for site training the very next day, as crazy as it may seem the systemwas fantastic, the complete radiator heated up within 20 mins on a 16 radsystem, the delta T was reduced to 3 degrees which I did not think waspossible. consequently I have know installed 10 of these systems which I canassure you have all improved the customers heating, I actually went back to twoof the customers to see how the system was performing as they were local andthey have noticed a significant change with theincrease speed with the property heating up performance of the all radiators (all being the same temperature) and the boiler running for less time thannormal. One of the two customer has actually turned there room stat down from21 to 19. I really think this is going to take off.

Hi Joshua

Forgive me for being cynical, but can you prove that you are a bona-fide heating engineer, and not just an internet shill? For example, can you give your Gassafe registration number, or a link to your website?

Its not the laws of plumbing that concern me, its the laws of physics. I don't mind contradicting a plumber (do it all the time!) but when it comes to contradicting Isaac Newton, I come over all shy.

Watch the oil installation video, its a low loss header with a pump for the boiler to low loss header and then individual room/cylinder stats linked to each zones zone zalve and its own pump, totally useless if you only have CH and HW zones. The heat up times could only be measured against a system with an undersized pump. As for the radiators its obvious thats just the power flush.
The programmer is well.....just a programmer!

Saving money? How by running three pumps instead of one....

Hi Ray not an internet shill, just been on the training , completed 10 installs and impressed with the results. Was Googling looking for other installers of the heating box and fumbled across site, seems no-one on this site has installed one yet and thought the feed back would be useful.

Hi Ray not an internet shill, just been on the training , completed 10 installs and impressed with the results. Was Googling looking for other installers of the heating box and fumbled across site, seems no-one on this site has installed one yet and thought the feed back would be useful.

Thanks Joshua. Are you an experienced heating engineer by trade?

I would like to think so been completing general building works and plumbing for 16 years now, I have had experience installing A2W systems Samsung LT and Daikin HT and Thermo dynamics. This one interested me as was a product that actually improves the existing system rather than installing an alternative.

You don't want a 3 degree delta T. Reducing it will stop a condensing boiler condense to get this value the boiler must be way oversized. These amazing rads, had they been power flushed?

The guys and girls on this forum are way too wise to fall for this. Next thing you will be pushing is hydrogen generation to improve fuel economy in your van..........

Hi Erpkid from my understanding boilers condensate when the return temperature is under 55 degrees, on one of the systems I installed the leaving flow temperature from the box to the rads was approx 55-57 and the return temperature 52-54. The leaving temperature from the boiler was on 60 as part of the kit is placing a pipe stat on the primary flow pipe from the boiler, this is because the system is not as efficient running over 60.

yeah I was cold called too but glad I went to the seminar as found it interesting and ended up completing some installs which has been good.

yeah I was cold called too but glad I went to the seminar as found it interesting and ended up completing some installs which has been good.

Stick me down for two then :)

complete nonsense.

If this technology was real then worcester/vaillant/baxi etc would have been all over it like a nasty rash.

Thanks Joshua. Are you an experienced heating engineer by trade?

I would like to think so been completing general building works and plumbing for 16 years now, I have had experience installing A2W systems Samsung LT and Daikin HT and Thermo dynamics. This one interested me as was a product that actually improves the existing system rather than installing an alternative.

Hi Joshua.

Thanks for the reply. With respect, general building work and plumbing is not quite the same as being a heating engineer. I'm not trying have a pop, but that could mean tarmacing drives, building extensions and fitting kitchens.

Can we just take a quick wander through the physics and practicalities of central heating efficiency? Forum members feel free to chip in and correct me if I go wrong or miss something.

We start with the calorific value of the basic fuel.

In a perfect system, all this would be used - but as we all know, there ain't no such thing as a perfect system. However, by Newton's law of conservation of energy, you can't get MORE out than you put in.

So in no particular order, we have inefficiencies in the system that mean we don't get 100% of that potential.

Losses through imperfect combustion - pretty minimal in a well maintained gas appliance
Losses via hot flue gases - still real, but minimised by a condensing boiler and a well designed system
Losses via the fabric of the building - still by far the most common inefficiency, and best tackled through well understood insulation methods
Losses caused by heating the wrong space or at the wrong time - again, quite common, but best tackled through zoning, TRVs, roomstats and timing controls. Commonly fitted, but often not understood by the user.

The most cost effective way to save energy for a householder is to read and understand the instruction book that comes with the controls - turning TRVs to low settings in unused rooms, programming the system properly, turning down the roomstat (and locating the roomstat correctly). If modern controls are not fitted, they are probably the best investment.

The next most cost effective (if not already fitted) is to upgrade insulation.

According to this article the average cost of heating a home is £587 a year. (Less than half the total average energy bill - the remainder going on lighting, cooking, hot water etc).

The very best that I can see the magic box achieving is a very marginal saving on that - lets concede (and I am utterly unconvinced) that it allows the system to run 5% more efficiently. Boiler manufacturers will completely re-engineer a model at the cost of £millions to get 1/2 of one percent, so I am being pretty generous here.

Do the maths.

Even if your house is huge, and you have a heating bill of £2000 per year (nearly 4 times the national average) and the magic box delivers a 5% saving (which I am acutely sceptical about), thats £100 per year. £1000 per decade.
In three score years and ten, a theoretical lifetime saving, assuming you owned the property from birth, of £7000. And thats without calculating the lost interest that would have accrued over 70 years if you had just put the installation cost in a building society account.

How much does it cost to install again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for this summary advice ... I have...
Replies
Views
That is true - however with Vaillant...
Replies
Views
Best watch dude, they might try and sue you :p
Replies
Views
IDCHAPPY
I
The only opening in a built in gas meter box...
Replies
Views
I used Uheat once. They didn't give me a...
Replies
Views
Back