BBC Watchdog - British Gas | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss BBC Watchdog - British Gas in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the main reason that the quoted figures are higher Diamond is due to BG taking over a lot of the competition in recent years, Dyno,Ph jones and when the say engineers they are probably including the guys who do the work on the white goods.

They bought the AA whilst i was working for them ... I understand where you're coming from .. The BG MD was doing his best at damage control IMHO ... As they've always have done since I can remember! They have a customer base to rival none! AND as long as the scaremongering continue to tell folk that they mustn't trust "joe Bloggs" their loyal customers will not want to deviate!! Watchdog adds as much to the problem as it tries to repair in my opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
The MD (Chris Jansen) was less than honest in some of his replies IMO, you will know Diamond the sales culture for all customer facing staff and the sales before service culture there. Spot on with the scaremongering their sales tactics/staff paint us sole traders/small business as evil cowboys who are out to rob them of every penny they have if they are not covered by a BG product.

The MD (Chris Jansen) was less than honest in some of his replies IMO, you will know Diamond the sales culture for all customer facing staff and the sales before service culture there. Spot on with the scaremongering their sales tactics/staff paint us sole traders/small business as evil cowboys who are out to rob them of every penny they have if they are not covered by a BG product.

Alas they may have utalized the likes of watchdog to their benefit! End of the day they're a business out to make money! As are we all :) They happen to have a lot more years in the making than most of us will ever muster :)

My son in law works for dynorod, they're also target driven. They've just been split into two teams to fight each other over the month for sales, winners get a bonus, losers get nothing. They've been told, don't change a tap washer sell a set of taps £95 + VAT fitted. The taps are about £12 a pair.
His mate quoted to change a cold water mains tank a few weeks ago at a house I was working at (fitting a bath) 25 gallon £880 inc VAT.

My son in law works for dynorod, they're also target driven. They've just been split into two teams to fight each other over the month for sales, winners get a bonus, losers get nothing. They've been told, don't change a tap washer sell a set of taps £95 + VAT fitted. The taps are about £12 a pair.
His mate quoted to change a cold water mains tank a few weeks ago at a house I was working at (fitting a bath) 25 gallon £880 inc VAT.

I thought Dyno were mostly franchises though? When I subied to them I wasn't asked to sell anything!

I thought Dyno were mostly franchises though? When I subied to them I wasn't asked to sell anything!
Yep, this is still a franchise but they expect them to sell, sell, sell. It only used to be mandates at one time, signing people up to insurance but now it's sell whatever you can.

no no ....watched it , not really enough questions asked ..they could have gone deep in to it imho

just watched it on i player the BG MD squirmed quite a lot and lied like a honest MP

Could of done the whole hour on them, coincedently seen two bg vans parked up all day cant have a lot on know they live there

Chris Jansen did not lie. I think he handled the situation very well. Anne Robinson and the BBC should be ashamed of themselves.

BG Quiz - starter for ten ...

Who is the ex BG employee that has recently been reshuffled?

We were shown a DVD of the 2 engineers defending themselves, I'm on there side because if the parts are not shown as available on the laptop, then they are just following the bg procedures.
Then you get the blame for not phoning independents and taking initiative.
you just can't please this mob.
rant over
Al

We were shown a DVD of the 2 engineers defending themselves, I'm on there side because if the parts are not shown as available on the laptop, then they are just following the bg procedures.
Then you get the blame for not phoning independents and taking initiative.
you just can't please this mob.
rant over
Al

Absolutely 100% spot on. Despite what people think on here BG engineers are not going into people's homes lying and trying to con people. Yes, they try and sell things, but who doesn't?
If the computer says a part isn't available and an engineer states this, is he wrong? No he's just following what the company who employs him tells him to do.

Absolutely 100% spot on. Despite what people think on here BG engineers are not going into people's homes lying and trying to con people. Yes, they try and sell things, but who doesn't? If the computer says a part isn't available and an engineer states this, is he wrong? No he's just following what the company who employs him tells him to do.
Trying to sell someone something that they need is one thing, telling people they need a power-flush costing £599 when its not necessary is another - of which I have personal experience. Is it right to pass a gas check off as: "a service" and ignore the boiler manufacturer's specifications re what should be done annually while telling customers that their boiler has been serviced? "The computer says no", so right off someone's boiler! Trading Standards would be down on a small trader like a ton of bricks! The British Gas of yesteryear is very different from the BG of today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to sell someone something that they need is one thing, telling people they need a power-flush costing £599 when its not necessary is another - of which I have personal experience. Is it right to pass a gas check off as: "a service" and ignore the boiler manufacturer's specifications re what should be done annually while telling customers that their boiler has been serviced? "The computer says no", so right off someone's boiler! Trading Standards would be down on a small trader like a ton of bricks! The British Gas of yesteryear is very different from the BG of today.

Ive been contracting there for three years now on and off and I've never seen a power flush offered when it's not needed.
As for the service, they don't call it that now, and haven't for ages.
And they don't just knock someone's boiler off if the computer says part not available, they will try and source the part, I have been to parts centre to pick up flues in this instance.
Of course, they offer new boilers as an alternative, but who doesn't. If you went to a twenty odd year old boiler and it needed parts would you not recommend a replacement? Of course you would.

anyone got a link to this episode, was away so not read on here much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Drayton rt212 should fit
Replies
Views
I would say it’s not Siemens, although...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
If you put your hand hand on the case does it...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back