Boiler Heat Exchanger busted | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Yep..

IMG-20190610-WA0020.jpeg

I’d still be saying airlock and boiler needs some TLC. Burner case seal unserviceable?? What the hell does that mean

Is it bad to replace the heat exchanger though? Need to get it power flushed before that though otherwise sludge may go into the new heat exchanger we get fitted. Power flush should remove airlock/sludge right?

I'm not ignoring I'm saying would it be a bad idea to do that since the heat exchanger needs replacing :\... The plumber said it's sludge but I thought it was air initially. I bled all radiators so no air in there, so that's why I'm asking if a power flush would remove an airlock? because how else are we to remove an air lock... :\

Removing air from radiators doesn't remove airlocks. Did you have any issues with the system prior to draining down? If the initial plumber hasn't vented and ran your system properly he's most likely knackered the pump.

There were issues prior i.e. when I opened the bath tap for hot water sometimes nothing would come out for a sec then a big *plop* (sorry didn't know how else to describe this!) then water, then more blobs of air etc. That has happened ever since I removed a rad a year ago tbh. There's always been a build up of air hanging around... When the plumber checked it today though he said the pump is fine and motor was spinning fine.

I’m not saying it’s not spot on mate just something doesn’t add up with this. It’s just vague personified

I’m not saying it’s not spot on mate just something doesn’t add up with this. It’s just vague personified
Didn’t intendto state that your in the wrong either mate. Just a different take on it that’s all. This heat ex is 100% leaking here, and if it is dripping near electrics (not saying it is) that would also be ID.

Also the cover above the fan is missing.

2A4D7A20-3097-426E-9316-83EEDEB367E0.jpeg

Tbh that boiler hasn't been touched since ages ago so don't know where the cover went (there's a cover on the floor below the boiler but i'm guessing that's not it......). Anyway this is a close-up of the top of the heat exchanger

Screenshot_20190610-192045.png

Well Bosch are saying they will come round and charge £315 in total to change anything that is needed to be changed? That includes heat exchanger, pump, etc. Would that be a good option?

If products of combustion were detected to be escaping the casing of the boiler then ID.
Easy to assume the worst with the reputation that goes along with your chosen company.

It's near impossible to diagnose the circulation issue precisely without being at the property.
There's an air release valve to bleed air from heat exchanger which may of not been used when refilling the system, which could be a contributing factor in the issue but definitely not the cause of the signs of heat stress and leaking present on heat exchanger.

Pipe shouldn't of been cut for what can be seen in pictures alone, as at face value it appears to be classed as "At Risk" which would still justify advice of turning off and not to use, but not physical disconnection of the gas supply.

Ultimately though the heat exchanger issue should definitely be attended to first. The heat exchanger is showing signs of excessive heat with the ribbing being quite apparent.

I'd get priced up (from a different company preferably) for heat exchanger renewal (along with burner seals etc) and request a water quality test to determine if a flush is also required.

Once you've got that information you need I'd then still consider the option of replacing the boiler purely from a financial perspective due to potential warranty benefits of changing it out for new.

If it were in my house id change the boiler but can understand why it is more suited to others to replace only the heat exchanger etc.

Thanks Mastermixlee, I can get someone to come round and potentially do a water quality test/a flush. The plumber who put the rad in said he could refill the system with a cleaning chemical, and let it run through. He then spoke of adding a magnaclean. Bosch advised this should all be done before I call them out to get a new heat exchanger installed (along with anything else that boiler might need).

Similar plumbing topics

You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Someone has said, he wouldnt of plumbed it as...
Replies
Views
I am only telling you what I have seen. I...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back