Brother Refurb | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Brother Refurb in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup ... That makes sense! I just didn't know if it was bad to come out like that.. Cheers Shaun

no your fine and your doing well good job

Just for future reference. Never cut a line of boards between joists like that.
A) there really is no need
B) you weaken the structure

Apart from that you're doing fine

Just for future reference. Never cut a line of boards between joists like that.
A) there really is no need
B) you weaken the structure

Apart from that you're doing fine

How do you feed in lengths of copper though if you only take up a cut every meter or so?

Very easily unless it is a soil pipe. A 10ft length will easily go in 3 boards.

Its a pet hate of mine and a sackable offence if i see it

Thing is, there was only a small hole under the wall to feed the pipes through - I'll consider myself sacked then :O

im sorry but thats stupid how you going to clip it in the middle you cant

its down to personal preference if its easier to take a run of boards up take them up, its not going to weaken the joists

If you want to clip it in the middle you take one board up, insert a dwang (noggin) and clip it.
Its is all down to experience and teaching.
It doesn't weaken the joists it weakens the structure of the building as the flooring ties the house together one joist to the next.
By cutting a line of boards you have cut the tie.

sorry but i call bull on weakening the structure

next your going to say removing plaster board from the ceiling will cause the joists to twist as theres no support there

You can call it what you like Shaun but i can guarantee you it weakens the structure hence why flooring, even chipboard is laid break bonded.
If you are ever on a job with a CoW your company will be hit with the bill to lay a whole new floor and i can guarantee that too.

Noggins or cross bracing stops joist from twisting. Flooring ties them.

I agree that lifting a line of boards is not needed. I only ever have used copper and about 3 boards is usually enough to get a copper pipe in without causing it to bend.
You will be leaving one line of a joint across the entire joist you cut the floorboards at, and it will always mean when you stand above that joist that your weight will not spread across the other joists as the joint will flex.

I'm gonna worry now -so basically I've messed up my brothers floor??? :/

I'm gonna worry now -so basically I've messed up my brothers floor??? :/

I wouldn't worry about it. No worse than having to cut a plywood or chipboard floor along or on top of a joist for a large piece.
If you wanted to strengthen the floor again, you could run some of new boards across to the next joist to stagger the flooring

Sometimes I have had to lift a lot of floorboards/sheets for soil pipe work or complex load of copper pipework, but if possible I will only lift the floor to one joist on a few small areas, so to keep the rest of flooring still carrying over to other joists

Wgaf its your brother, he's not going to sue you but learn from it because somebody might.

We all had to learn the hard way and believe me i've done some stupid things over the years because i didn't know any better. I learned best when it cost me a few grand usually at a time when i could least afford it.

Our trade carries a huge responsibility which no one will pay the premium for. Use your head.

I've got one joint that's leaking.. Seems to take years for it to heat to be able to resolder- already resolder we once and still leaking - what's the best thing to do?

And can you believe it was the very last joint made!!!! Grrrrr

If you can take it out and re do it make sure you clean it all up first

I agree. Take the fitting off and probably best just start again with a new fitting. You maybe have water now in the pipe to get rid

I sweat it a second time and was fine after that.. System all up and running now and finally back home!! That was hard work man, but I'm quite proud of myself that I pushed myself to do it. Thanks to all for your help and advice, very much appreciated!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you so much - really appreciate the...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I will have to experiment like you said and...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Back