Can you sign off an installation done by a non-GSR plumber? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can you sign off an installation done by a non-GSR plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building control (if asked) would just send one of their guys round to have a look and about all they would check is flue positions and the boiler wasn't falling off the wall. They are not qualified to do anything else.
They don't pass work on but would i imagine, advise the homeowner to get it checked.

Looking for a gas safe engineer to sign work off and help with my portfolio I will supply work as and when I can as have been messed around so many times I need a reliable worker in Portsmouth area. Good paid jobs.

Looking for a gas safe engineer to sign work off and help with my portfolio I will supply work as and when I can as have been messed around so many times I need a reliable worker in Portsmouth area. Good paid jobs.

You'd probably be better off starting your own thread mate. Introduce yourself, tell us about your experience etc. We have quite a few guys in your area try and sell yourself to them

I commissioned a boiler fitted by someone recently, there was no registration but after a conflab with GS and the manufacturer and some minor remedial work it is now registered and under warranty, it can be done but there are hoops from every man and his dog, luckily I had access to absolutely every mm of the system.

And there is the million dollar question, Do I/Don,t I ??? You were lucky in the respect that you had access to the whole installation, more often than not the customer is not going to let you start removing furniture, lift carpets & floorboards (or even worse chipboard flooring) , remove the pipe boxing fronts ruining their decoration and start taking out kitchen cupboards so that you can inspect every inch of the installation and unless you can do this, I would never put my name to it. And even then I would be reporting it to GSR before I touched it.

Hi there. I think as a registered gas safe it would be our responsibility to inspect the installation and make safe before signing off someone's job and more of an advantage to know the initial installer incase of a problem but if the installation isn't up to standard after inspection there is no need to sign off. That's why we do has safety inspections.

Hi there. I think as a registered gas safe it would be our responsibility to inspect the installation and make safe before signing off someone's job and more of an advantage to know the initial installer incase of a problem but if the installation isn't up to standard after inspection there is no need to sign off. That's why we do has safety inspections.
or report them as they shouldn't be doing it in the first place

If you walk onto a job and sign it off as your own work, without taking it apart and rebuilding the installation your committing an offence.

I don't know why people keep trying to justify it it should be stamped out not promoted as a way to dodge the rules

Rules should be firmed up for all concerned. If apprentices or others are carrying out part of the work it should be under the direct supervision of GS engineer, present on site at the time.

Rules should be firmed up for all concerned. If apprentices or others are carrying out part of the work it should be under the direct supervision of GS engineer, present on site at the time.
Agreed mate but that's a bit different to Joe Public fitting it himself to save money then trying to get an engineer to sign off. Both need stronger penalties in my eyes

Just don't get involved if you value your Gas Safe Registration. This is just encouraging the illegals to prosper. Let them have the aggro with the customer and Gas Safe when the customer dosent receive a correctly completed Benchmark doc (with FGA printout attached) AND a proper Building Regs Notification. Look at what we spend each year on registrations, ACS every five years, all test equipment, calibration fees etc etc etc - the list goes on.

The only way to increase safety and prevent Cowboys from working on jobs is the manufactures of gas appliance, and merchants tighten up. If each gas appliance sold had to be registered to a gas safe number and signed by the engineer before it was sold, it would reduce the rogue fitters.
All boilers have to be registered and serviced annually for manufactures to validate the warranty.

We all know this will never happen as all manufactures have to hit targets. If 1 manufacture does it they lose customers as the cheap landlord will just choose another manufacture that gives less aggro.

I'm a service agent for a boiler manufacture. The 1st thing I check for in warrenty calls is the gas safe installations cert, then the benchmark commissioning list. If it's been 12 months from install date then a proof of service. If these are not there, I have to say good bye and walk out.

At the same time it's about educating the public/customer.
The amount of time I've said to customers that they should be looking at the gas safe ID I have around my neck. For all they know it may have expired or I may not be competent to work on anything apart from pipe work.
What still shocks me is some people still thinks it's Corgi :13:
Gas safe need to do more to make people aware, and we as Gas Safe engineers can do more to help.

Am I being thick here? The issue is that the guy signed off unsafe work. Not that he signed off an installation. Had it been properly checked and was all safe, then would there still have been an issue?

Yes because install should be by a suitably qualified pwrson

as far as im aware, anyone can run the pipes and hang the boiler etc. obviously, whoever signs it off is putting their registration on the line but that`s their call. its up to them to determine whether it is safe or not.

as far as im aware, anyone can run the pipes and hang the boiler etc. obviously, whoever signs it off is putting their registration on the line but that`s their call. its up to them to determine whether it is safe or not.

Ugh,

And it's that attitude which ensures it's not being done properly

lets say he had signed off a completely safe, well installed appliance. Would he still be prosecuted?

It isnt that he signed off someone elses work, its that he signed off someone elses dangerous work.

Last edited by a moderator:
No but why should he be signing off rather than doing

thats a separate issue.

the point is, hes perfectly ok to sign off any work he wants to, but its his name on the line and if the job isnt up to scratch, then its him who will be answerable for that.

thats a separate issue.

the point is, hes perfectly ok to sign off any work he wants to, but its his name on the line and if the job isnt up to scratch, then its him who will be answerable for that.

What is it you are failing to understand here?

Well installed or not is a moot point. Signing off an installation by someone who is not a gsr is illegal and could lead to you both being prosecuted.

You say you want to do gas, Steve.

That means you are prepared to spend a good bit of time and a fair bit of money becoming trained and registered.

Why risk it all by covering the aris of someone who not only cannot be bothered to get themselves trained and qualified but is also making a mockery of the industry in general and taking the absolute rise out of you in particular?

Cheers cropster long day and very tired so may not have given this the advice it deserves but gas Safe registered or not do the right thing

Last edited:
As above. The legal position regarding this is well documented - as are the consequences once found out.

Just about every scenario you can think of has been prosecuted - as well as a recent gsr (gas safe magazine) case with an engineer signing mates work off.

All it took was a customer complaint - gas safe became involved. Names were taken and asses hauled. They all hung each other - suspended prison sentences and fines enough to make a glass eye water..

Cheers Phil. Get sick of explaining it. Deaf ears and all that!!!!

To stick my head above the parapet, I think the problem is that there are too many RGIs (by which, to be clear, I don't mean a majority) whose work ethic is not significantly better than someone less qualified. This probably includes the person who would knowingly sign off someone else's work. The effect is that when an RGI turns up, there is not always the obvious difference there should be.

In an ideal world, every RGI would show up and be an obviously highly dedicated and trained professional with excellent communication skills whose work would be beyond criticism and would look good and hence impress even those whose knowledge stops them being able to appreciate the finer points. In practice, as with every trade, some do sloppy (not necessarily dangerous) work or are generally hamfisted.

But because it costs so much money to be an RGI (and here is the crux of my complaint), RGIs cost a lot more. It's not that RGIs are raking it in, but they have to pay a lot of fees and possibly these are excessive, and I suspect someone in the training/regulatory industry IS raking it in.

You will understand my point of view if you think that when I did my IPAF MEWPs training, I sat a practice multiple choice exam which I passed, then we did an hour's study and then took the _exact same_ exam again and I don't really think I learnt a lot. A couple of hours of practical and I had my certificate. Of course, because I requested familiarisation of the machinery before I used it (an IPAF requirement), I was never actually employed as a MEWP driver and thus I never got any return on my £180. Education or jobs for the boys?

So, to the untrained, an RGI is not always seen as better, (s)he just costs more.

I can well understand why someone with a good work ethic and pride would refuse to put his/her name to work carried out by others, but sadly qualifications are not the gold standard they should be and often genuine RGIs are probably strapped for cash (and trying to be nice) and take the attitude that if the install looks perfect, probably it is.

After all, I've run gas pipe under observation of a gas fitter, but obviously he wasn't looking over my shoulder at every stage of every joint on the pipe run. If he had been there would have been little point in using my labour instead of his own - there had to be an element of trust that I would to continue to work exactly as instructed and shown and not, say, switch from Everflux to LaCo half way through the job. So the difference between this situation and signing off someone else's work can, slowly and incrementally, become one of degrees.

However, as Croppie has pointed out, it seems from reading this thread that the law is pretty clear - it isn't legal to sign off someone else's work. Would I be right to assume that the reason SteveWannaDoGas is able to find this a debatable point is that a person signing off someone else's work would probably not have been pulled up on it if the work had been safe, although this does not change the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Finally got an update from him. He cant do the...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here //...
Replies
Views
Back