Channel 5 benefits Britain ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Ermintrude
  • Start date
  • Replies 117
  • Views 2K

Discuss Channel 5 benefits Britain ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the telly this time pal..TBH its the same old same old, That persons here for work, that persons living in squalor begging for penny's,that persons got a job and imported his family.. 60's.70's,80's,90's,2000's to now. Each decade has had the "england's going too sink due to the sheer weight of people attitude". it's the way it is, always has been and always will.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I may be repeating stuff.
I honestly see the biggest problem being the minimum wage.
Why would you bust a gut for £7 p/h, or even take a wage reduction from being on the dole.
Meanwhile Tarquin and Rupert get richer and import loads of cheap labour from European countries. There is a clause that can stop anymore people coming in, but they won't use it!
Im not for kicking people out, or selective discrimination, but we're full.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I may be repeating stuff.
I honestly see the biggest problem being the minimum wage.
Why would you bust a gut for £7 p/h, or even take a wage reduction from being on the dole.
Meanwhile Tarquin and Rupert get richer and import loads of cheap labour from European countries. There is a clause that can stop anymore people coming in, but they won't use it!
Im not for kicking people out, or selective discrimination, but we're full.
So when are you going to start picking the crops in our fields & give up the plumbing lark, then Leo ?
The reality is, as Stan was suggesting, this country of ours can not survive without our cheap labour imports.

So what are you suggesting, do away with the minimum wage ? One of the universally accepted success stories in the fight to stop labour rates being driven down to the lowest possible levels by the so called markets, the "old race to the bottom" ?

Last edited:
So what are you suggesting, do away with the minimum wage ? One of the universally excepted success stories in the fight to stop labour rates being driven down to the lowest possible levels by the so called markets, the "old race to the bottom" ?

(I am reading "excepted" as "accepted". My apologies if this was not your intent)

Minimum wage is more complicated in its economic effects than that. And it certainly is not universally accepted as a success story by economists, although it may be accepted as inevitable by politicians.

It tends to inflate the price of services, and shove manufacturing jobs overseas. This is because of the old economist's saying "you can't get your haircut in china" - a short hand for the fact that cutting hair, serving coffee and making beds in a hotel is not a function you can outsource to china. However, the higher you set the NMW, the more you incentivise producers of moveable products to offshore the production.

The NMW in Britain is set at quite a low level, so it has limited economic effect. I doubt you will find any subject on which economists all agree, but I can absolutely guarantee that price control (which NMW is a form of) is certainly not such a subject.

I'm not saying its right or wrong. As I said, at the current level, I think its pretty irrelevant.

Why you all see just the last lot of immigrants , and class all immigrants to be low skill ? Have you ever been to city of London and all big company's with highly educated people ,or doctors , solicitors .........

all I can say is the goverment is doing it in purpose to lower living standards and have house market boosting , which than only selects the self enthusiastic and dedicated people out of all that migrate here ! And at the same time most of all the English people are getting there benefits cut down , and making them realise that this will not go for any long .......
From today they start speaking about giving opportunity to sick people to end there life ( in my eyes they just want to save money by not looking after them )
its all faccccccked up , tbh

Last edited:
I should also say that we employ several Polish staff (all at substantially above NMW!) and that their work ethic, attendance and alround good-eggishness makes lots of the English job applicants look pathetic.

Anyway, must dash. Out for drinkies with Rupers and Tarquy. Toodle pip!

I should also say that we employ several Polish staff (all at substantially above NMW!) and that their work ethic, attendance and alround good-eggishness makes lots of the English job applicants look pathetic.

Anyway, must dash. Out for drinkies with Rupers and Tarquy. Toodle pip!

Would you employ more polish nationality people ?
Would the polish nationality people work for you if you were going to lower there wages ?

(I am reading "excepted" as "accepted". My apologies if this was not your intent)

Minimum wage is more complicated in its economic effects than that. And it certainly is not universally accepted as a success story by economists, although it may be accepted as inevitable by politicians.

It tends to inflate the price of services, and shove manufacturing jobs overseas. This is because of the old economist's saying "you can't get your haircut in china" - a short hand for the fact that cutting hair, serving coffee and making beds in a hotel is not a function you can outsource to china. However, the higher you set the NMW, the more you incentivise producers of moveable products to offshore the production.

The NMW in Britain is set at quite a low level, so it has limited economic effect. I doubt you will find any subject on which economists all agree, but I can absolutely guarantee that price control (which NMW is a form of) is certainly not such a subject.

I'm not saying its right or wrong. As I said, at the current level, I think its pretty irrelevant.
Beer again (well also the lifelong impediment) it was the latter rather than the former Ray (accept).
For a clearer response I will wait to the morning.

safegas we dont just all see the last lot of immigrants, read my post. if england had no immigration and my mother didnt come from ireland when she was 7, i wouldnt be english.....Your preaching to the choir.

Would you employ more polish nationality people ?
Would the polish nationality people work for you if you were going to lower there wages ?

As responsible employers we are bound to check that the applicant is legally allowed to work in the UK, but after that I hope that we would hire the best candidate, regardless of nationality.

And why would we want to lower wages? We deliberately pay even our completely unskilled and inexperienced staff well over NMW, indeed over the German NMW level, in order to try to attract more highly motivated applicants. Or as I am sometime prone to put it "I don't want us to fish for staff in the bottom of the pond".

Your a top man safegas and its the only time i'll say this because ive had enough of this thread..I really really think youve got the wrong end of the stick about chris's posts...XX

I dont care as we wont change anything anyway so why bother. Politics make rules, we can only complain to brick wall.

With goggles now off, think I agree with most of your post Ray, perhaps where we may differ is that most people, economists excluded (by the nature of what they do they can't be seen to agree about anything) agree that in a modern civilized country there must be a lower ceiling below which it is not acceptable for a human to labour for less.

I was not advocating raising it but as you say, it is low in comparison to others & maybe a raise to allow a clearer gap to exist between what we are prepared to hand to people as support & what they could earn with there labours might provide the encouragement for them to stop taking the pee.

Your a top man safegas and its the only time i'll say this because ive had enough of this thread..I really really think youve got the wrong end of the stick about chris's posts...XX
I don't care anymore either, you can only try so hard & for so long before it becomes a waste of ones time.
It does always strike me as strange that those who were the last to settle here as it were, seem to be the most periphrasis about the antics of those arriving !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You could go smaller if you go pdhw eg 180l...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Either, in no particular order; The water...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, this was a brilliantly explained post...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
D
I have a Worceseter Greenstar 12i feeding an...
Replies
Views
davidev
D
Back