Member's attitude in forum posts | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter M.Joshi
  • Start date
  • Replies 113
  • Views 2K

Discuss Member's attitude in forum posts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.Joshi

Why is it that some members of this forum have a tendency to reply with useless sarcastic comments?

Forums should be a place where people can freely ask/answer and discuss any questions without the added sarcasm or slight remarks.

Member's egos should be left at the door regardless of their experience or original poster's question.

It seems that some of the experienced members have a chip on their shoulder.

What a waste of a thread!

Sorry couldn't resist

Uh oh!! I suspect I might be one of these but then my sense of humour is rather warped sometimes ...

In truth, I think it is people trying to be funny and trying to create a smile on others' faces when they read the posts. Unfortunately, when talking to someone face to face you know if humour is being attempted but a forum post is so expressionless that it is so easy to read things the wrong way.

In fairness, most of us plumbers are pretty friendly and try to be helpful, but as in all sections of society there are some rotten apples.

Agree there. It's the way it's read,not written

Think of how many ways you can say hello

Hello (angry)
Hello (happy)
Hello (sharp)

Perhaps it's you in the bad mood and thinking everyone has a chip?

Why is it that some members of this forum have a tendency to reply with useless sarcastic comments?

Forums should be a place where people can freely ask/answer and discuss any questions without the added sarcasm or slight remarks.

Member's egos should be left at the door regardless of their experience or original poster's question.

you get all sorts of different opinions on a open forum,if you feel intimidated by another posters response report the post

Classic example just here.

I post a hello comment and Gas Man has just put a thread in seconds before me. He might now read that as offensive. Me might read it as funny.

Or he might just clout me with his stilsons ...

I wouldn't be scared of his stills

It's his axe that will hurt

Classic example just here.

I post a hello comment and Gas Man has just put a thread in seconds before me. He might now read that as offensive. Me might read it as funny.

Or he might just clout me with his stilsons ...
LOL:2guns:

Agree there. It's the way it's read,not written

Think of how many ways you can say hello

Hello (angry)
Hello (happy)
Hello (sharp)

Perhaps it's you in the bad mood and thinking everyone has a chip?

No I have experienced this on a number of occasions and not just replies to threads I have started/contributed to.

Note the use of the word some not everyone:

lol i find the talk quite light hearted on this forum, much different from the talk in work haha usually full of sarcasm, insults, humiliation

Do you have an example?

I was going to say spill the beans, but that ones been used on the tesco thread :)

Most of the regular members will probably be aware of a few as they have contributed to the threads. I won't go into specific replies or particular members.

I am enjoying some of the humour in this thread though :cool3:

If you've had a naff day , isn't it just like kicking the dog .

Don't take it to heart

( Vent steam to your mates ,they will understand ,Not the Mrs or no Dinner )

:33: :45:

Is it me? I was made to look a right arrogant idiot on the telly

Have moved this thread to plumbers arms away from main forums so if any trusted advisers think there is an issue it can be discussed

Do not think this kind of thread belongs on main forums,if op had a problem should of contacted moderators,maybe just trolling

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was to do with a couple of responses he had wrt a thread on threaded drain offs.

Have moved this thread to plumbers arms advisers away from main forums so if any trusted advisers think there is an issue it can be discussed

Do not think this kind of thread belongs on main forums,if op had a problem should of contacted moderators,maybe just trolling

The op has a point all be it maybe fueled form getting the advice they were not expecting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now in the plumbers arms but worth some thought IMHO ....... What got this guys hump seems to be our attitude? No way you can curb others ways but an ethics of wanting to help regardless of ability is a way forward... IMHO :)

op is not a plumber i believe, and got the hump, this is second time he expects the supplier to sell him the right stuff when he is the 1 who should know what to ask for, it's not the suppliers fault
imo

I think part of the problem may be that the op is not from this background. Most people in this trade (or any trade) are straight talking and sometimes quite curt. No harm is meant by it but i suppose it can come across the wrong way.
I try to make allowances for those not in the trade and sometimes have to think about how i answer things.

The forums I've most enjoyed posting in over the years have been the unmoderated or barely moderated ones. I enjoy the odd bit of conflict and the occasional sarcastic put-down. And all the most entertaining and inventive language is riddled with foul language. Plus being nice to each other is all very well when it's sincere but being forced to be nice to each other? Not for me.

But I understand that the primary purpose of this forum is not as a social one. And therefore an atmosphere that best facilitates the free exchange of useful information is the one desired. The problems is if most people know more than you then you're left mainly with posting irrelevant jokes, comments and waffles. Suits me just fine but can be seen as diSreSPecTfuL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Funny
My approach to everyone is that there looks to...
Replies
Views
I am no expert on building regs etc but I...
Replies
Views
In my experience, the way these things usually...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
M
AW hell what's the cost of a filter, £70 and...
Replies
Views
happyflyer
H
Back