Nelson Mandela R.I.P | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Nelson Mandela R.I.P in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Big man with big balls
R.I.P, you did so much.
Respect.

Last edited:
I went to a DTI do once, where he was a speaker. Just me, him and about 10,000 other people. :)

Before he came on stage, there was the usual movement of people taking their seats, getting comfortable, chatting away.

There was a middle aged, grey haired bloke on stage, pottering about, organising some papers, adjusting the microphone. No one took any notice of him and the low murmur continued.

When Nelson Mandela walked on, suddenly the atmosphere was electrifying. The grey haired bloke who everyone had been ignoring did the intro - he was John Major - prime minister at that time. Didn't have a ounce of the charisma that Mandela had.

Please excuse my ignorance , could anyone explain what has he done an why is he a good man ! I have never knew about his work all I know is his name and he is something to do with South Africa

He was instrumental in turning round the culture of racism and apartheid in South Africa Stan.

Dedicated his life so other people would have a better, safer future. Many people these days wouldn't give 10 minutes to help someone else. RIP.

I have listened to more than one S Afrfican white who has said that he was a terrorist and i have also listened to reports from all the usual sources telling how he suffered for the good of the people...........i have no view on the matter as i have no real experience of the man, but it is easy to get carried away with the romance of a story ...........if that story is accurate. He did bring hope to so many in a time of unrest so i think he has earned the right to rest in peace.

I'm waiting for Cameron's speach.... In 1983 he was part of a group of Tory public school boys protesting so that Mandela would be hung!!! Bet he spouts some sh1te tomorrow!!

I have listened to more than one S Afrfican white who has said that he was a terrorist and i have also listened to reports from all the usual sources telling how he suffered for the good of the people...........i have no view on the matter as i have no real experience of the man, but it is easy to get carried away with the romance of a story ...........if that story is accurate. He did bring hope to so many in a time of unrest so i think he has earned the right to rest in peace.

The South African story is a complicated one, and certainly not as "black and white" - forgive the appalling pun - as many would have you believe.

I spent some time out there - it seems like a lifetime ago, but at one point we had the export licence for John Guest in Southern Africa - SA, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Angola.

I took the trouble to read all the history - not just the recent stuff, but right back. Its not a simple story, and rewards some patient study. And lets not forget, he was awarded the Nobel peace prize JOINTLY with F W de Klerk.

It takes two to make peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry Ray but peace can NOT be made !!!

Peace can only be given by the more powerful side to the weaker one ......

i is never been in SA , but I is keeping an eye of what is going on around the world , this days as I am only 34

Last edited:
I am sorry Ray but peace can NOT be made !!!

Peace can can be given by the more powerful side to the wheeler one ......

i is never been in SA , but I is keeping an eye of what is going on around the world , this days as I am only 34

I dunno Stan. Its a bit late at night for such deep stuff, but the situation in SA was asymmetric.

The whites had all the money and most of the guns.
The blacks had the moral high ground, the international support and the population numbers. And some of the guns.

I think NM and FWdeK did pretty well under the circumstances. Have a read of NM's biography - "A long walk to freedom". Its anything but one-sided - a tribute to the man's intellectual strength.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
https://www.bes.co.uk/insuduct-pipe-protection-...
Replies
Views
In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Most of the people who answer questions here...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
It's a very old house so I doubt it but I'll...
Replies
Views
Back