Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas | Boilers | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Thank You for your reply and the additional photo Debra,

All is now clear regarding the orientation of your property and the neighbours extension.

As I am sure that You are aware the reason why there are `minimum clearances` to a Property Boundary is in case someone erects a Building / Structure close to the boundary - as has been done with your Neighbour`s extension.

In theory adhering to the minimum distance to the boundary when there is no Building / Structure present ensures that a property owner is protected in the event that the neighbour does build something adjacent to the boundary.

In your case because of the design / dimensions of the Neighbour`s extension immediately adjacent to your Boiler Flue there is a slight possibility that Flue gasses / Flue Plume could be blown enter the Extension Roof space / Loft Room via the open Velux window.

There is also the possibility that the slightly acidic water vapour from the Flue Plume could stain the extension Brickwork / guttering facia board or Roof tiles.

The possible staining of parts of the extension is something that would not really have been taken into consideration because any structure immediately adjacent to a Condensing Boiler Flue could get stained by the Plume - but it may cause a complaint in future if it can be seen by your Neighbour ?

The Architect / Designer / Builder of your Neighbour`s extension have not taken into consideration the proximity / existence of your Home`s Boiler Flue when designing the extension regarding the Velux window location.

My advice would be to try again to get a visit from one of your Local Authority Building Control Officers - if you cannot get them involved write to Gas Safe asking for an Inspector to visit your property - if they decline stating that the situation is `not within their remit` contact the HSE and report the fact that neither the LABC or Gas Safe will inspect the situation.

Tell them you have had conflicting opinions from a few Gas Safe registered Gas Engineers / Gas Installers and you cannot afford to keep paying Engineers who you find will not commit their findings in writing which is why you wanted to involve a Gas Safe Inspector.

However now that it seems you simply cannot get a definitive answer in writing you are worried about the Gas Safety aspect of the possibility that under certain wind conditions `Products of Combustion` would be able to enter the Loft Room Velux window.

Unfortunately I am guessing that the HSE would probably refer you back to engaging a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer / Gas Installer - but it is worth a couple of phone calls / a few Emails.

The problem with that is that an Engineer`s visit obviously costs money and even if you had the imaginary facility to have 3 or 4 Engineers visit free of charge they might NOT all agree a definitive answer.

Even with very experienced / very knowledgeable Engineers `human nature` / `self preservation` dictates that some might prefer to state that the proximity of the Flue terminal to the Velux window is definitely a Safety issue to cover themselves in case of a future problem.

Sorry that I / We cannot be more helpful.

If You do get a written definitive answer please let Us know with an update on here.

Chris
Thankyou Chris and all other members for your comments. I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration Chris

Hi, had a conversation with private building inspector today. He has told me that he sees no problem with the window in position to the flue and is going to pass the extension off. Again he stated that the diagram from the planning portal didn’t relate because it was a vertical flue and not horizontal like ours, again I defined the word flue. He, for some reason again, pointed out that the flue is closer to our window than the neighbouring velux and then it didn’t really relate to any regulations because the flue is on our side of the party wall. Surely at the if the gases are emitted within the shaded area of the diagram in post 11 it wouldn’t really matter what the flue was attached to the emissions are still being released within this forbidden area.
He basically said that we were only bothered because he knows that in the future there won’t be a gas fitter willing to site a boiler in the same place. He’s probably right but why would that be........is it because the distance between flue and window is a concern? Fortunately our boiler is serviced regularly and could potentially be ok for another 10 years.......so is he saying that it is not a problem now and we can overlook any dangers and keep our fingers crossed until we move our boiler in 10 years time hoping that no accidents occur.
Was also told that no point in contacting gas safe because they’re not interested cos they don’t think it’s important!
Asked him to put in writing to us that we had made him aware of our concerns that he considered it safe but said he would not as his concern was the safe structure of the build only.
He said to that contacting theHSE and CIC would be a waste of time because they won’t be interested. I am totally astounded with the situation.

Sadly a building inspector is unlikely to know the finer points of gas safety. I would call his bluff and contact the HSE if they aren’t bothered then I would insist on something in writing to that affect and go about your normal life. He clearly doesn’t understand gas safety as a vertical flue positioned correctly would nullify all of these issues and allow you to put anew boiler there when the time comes

We did some leak dispersion modeling / tests where vapors were released to atmosphere and we were quite surprised at how much the released vapors were diluted (with moisture) when emitted to fresh air. I know this doesn't help your situation. But thought I would comment

I m totally flummoxed with the idea that I will,in the future, potentially have to move my boiler because it will be seen as incorrect and a potential danger due to the siting of this window but up until that time ( while surely it is still a potential danger) nobody gives a damn.

You wouldn't have to move your boiler just a replacement with a vertical flue would be fine. It would be interesting to measure surrounding atmosphere to enable the facts to be established

He won't put it writing because he knows he's not qualified to answer the question. And your window been closer to the flue is irrelevant as it's a different scenario to the velux. I still believe you should send the photos to ideal. If they say it's fine, it's fine, if they say it's wrong it's wrong and then you will at least have something in writing to get gas safe to take notice.

He won't put it writing because he knows he's not qualified to answer the question. And your window been closer to the flue is irrelevant as it's a different scenario to the velux. I still believe you should send the photos to ideal. If they say it's fine, it's fine, if they say it's wrong it's wrong and then you will at least have something in writing to get gas safe to take notice.
Hi Craig, photos have been sent this afternoon, awaiting response

Hi, just a question to you all, “how many of you would fit a new boiler in the same place if the scenario stays the same......like for like, without any fancy extensions? Just curiosity, yes or no will be adequate thank you.

I wouldn’t too close would look at moving the flue / different terminal

A warning, don't work on the basis that whatever was there first has the right to remain there. That is rarely upheld if a case goes to Court. The is a lot of case law in this area particularly with respect to buried pipes and cables that are frustrating new development.

My advice, is you have an easy fix to relocate the flue terminal do so.

You should also be mindful, that you have demonstrated that you knew or thought that this was a problem. If anything unfortunate happens, the question could be asked as to why you did not amend your terminal position.

A warning, don't work on the basis that whatever was there first has the right to remain there. That is rarely upheld if a case goes to Court. The is a lot of case law in this area particularly with respect to buried pipes and cables that are frustrating new development.

My advice, is you have an easy fix to relocate the flue terminal do so.

You should also be mindful, that you have demonstrated that you knew or thought that this was a problem. If anything unfortunate happens, the question could be asked as to why you did not amend your terminal position.
Don’t worry I’m not planning on replacing the boiler as it’s working fine. It’s staying where it is and how it is at the moment

I think what he was saying was as you are aware there is a potential problem it’s probably not going to be in your best interest to ignore it. I realise at present you aren’t it’s one of those that if the worst happened and you ended up in court I genuinely couldn’t tell you which way it would go. There have been well covered events where a sealed window has been exchanged for an opening one and people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the powers that be have still come back on the installer for not predicting the future.

I think what he was saying was as you are aware there is a potential problem it’s probably not going to be in your best interest to ignore it. I realise at present you aren’t it’s one of those that if the worst happened and you ended up in court I genuinely couldn’t tell you which way it would go. There have been well covered events where a sealed window has been exchanged for an opening one and people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the powers that be have still come back on the installer for not predicting the future.
Don’t worry we are not ignoring it either.

Update so far;
Sent an email to the private building inspector to basically have some hard evidence that I have informed him of our concerns regarding proximity of window to flue. Also to confirm that I was right in believing that he was going to pass the extension off without any concerns that there was any breach of regulations, being either health and safety or building, and no danger to life...........he passed the query onto the top dog.
In the meantime Ideal have replied by email,to the photos sent, to comment that from the pictures the window appears to have been fitted to close to the flue....... email forwarded to BI.
It’ll be interesting to see if building inspector communicates in any way shape or form with gas safe......

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Exactly it's our opinions but that opinion...
Replies
Views
Pics please
Replies
Views
Can't use a plume kit to get the flue within...
Replies
Views
Back