Websites | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Jeff_JLED
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 8K

Discuss Websites in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
oooooh thomson and yell are just above me, they seem to get up there this time of year (when the are cold calling people to advertise with them) did you look in google? as I should be below yell.com

Might be as occassionally google spiderbots search your website, once this has been done they sort of hide your website, whilst they decide where to put you. I was on page 1, cant find me on the first 5 pages for some reason, will look in a couple days

Last edited by a moderator:
yer i googled plumber aylesbury got yell and u wernt mentioned and thomson ads which u where first then i got rated people and those other websites

thats not a very good advert now is it!!! normally I am number 1 and appear prominent< next time I will check before I boast about it.... lol

Try someone elses PC who hasnt googled you before...you will get the same results as we do. I think it ha something to do with Caches or cookies etc.

There is a way of doing a fresh search but cant remember it at the moment.

It aint showing up on mine at moment, like I said normally happens every so often, but you should still have me as number 1 on google maps

Wouldn't bother unless you know what you are doing.
For example did you know that Google likes some more than others? Choosing the wrong one could jeopardize your seo work.

Far better to let someone like Andrew do it.:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

There's nothing to it, dead easy, and google doesn't deal with domains based on the actual name, unless you pay them to do so.

I am gonna get andrew to do mine ill pay the £55 just for it to be sombody elses problem ! If it stopped working i wouldnt have to sit there working it all out and redoing certain things just email andrew and say whats happend etc. i cant remeber half the stuff in my daily routine never mind adding a website to that !

There's nothing to it, dead easy, and google doesn't deal with domains based on the actual name, unless you pay them to do so.

Wrong im afraid. Google will rank plumbing.com higher than plumbing.co.UK for example
Like i said if you don't understand seo you could pick a lemon

You dont want to rank for keywords like 'plumbing' anyway . . ..

You will always need a local version of the term and there will always be bigger sites that show up simply because they rank for the 'head keyword' - like Yell and Thomspon!

You can get higher than yell and Thomson.
Speak to Andrew he will talk you through it

You dont want to rank for keywords like 'plumbing' anyway . . ..

You will always need a local version of the term and there will always be bigger sites that show up simply because they rank for the 'head keyword' - like Yell and Thomspon!

Bigger sites get high rankings because they pay google to put them at the top of the lists.

The way google recognises websites and ranks them is constantly being changed by google, so being high on the list one day is no guarantee that the same will happen tomorrow.

The best advice is to base a website around a package of marketing strategies and not to rely on search engine results.

Creating a personal brand based on a name or a logo is the way to go - i.e. something that can be made familiar to potential customers using various methods, e.g. on the van, in local advertising, mail shots, etc, and on your website.

Choosing a domain name that fits with your brand is the obvious way to go, which is why it's important to keep control of your domain name.

No technical knowledge is involved with registering a domain, and the owner can simply give the passwords to the person who is going to build their site, and any legitimate web-designer will not have a problem with that.

Nice one guys -I really, really appreciate the feedback and have put a lot of people on the shortlist!

I essentially am looking for just an online "face" for my business - So i'm not too fussed about amazing flashy websites or too many pages - Just something that I can be proud to put on my business cards.

I did a little Google search on Sunday and typed in "websites for sole traders", and found a company called Sole Trader Websites (very apt!). Do you guys think I should give them a call? It looks really straight forward and the price is very reasonable...

Jeff you should speak with Andrew first mate. You won't regret it

Do you just want a site that you can direct people to or do you want people to find you by searching generic terms fir your area?

Both really - But to be honest I won't be depending on the internet to bring me a constant stream of work - I wouldn't want to pay more the £200-£250 a year really - Hence the requirement for a straight forward, no frills option.

Going to give the guys at Sole Trader Websites a call and see what's what!

People simply will not find you if you go somewhere like that - like I said it is a glorified business card.

If you have no understanding of SEO do not bother.

My web address even uses one of the keywords I want to rank for but also certain URL addresses are prefered by searche engines so beware . . . .

My first website I rushed into had 40 visitors a month 20 of which were from the USA - completely useless!!

I understand the hesitance to spend money on SEO but you really have to - £500 on SEO will give you income for years to come!

You can shoot through that amount in advertising and not bring that much work in . . . . .

(beware that you need someone on recommendation as there are loads of guys out there who will calim they can get you 'on the first page of google')

People simply will not find you if you go somewhere like that - like I said it is a glorified business card.

If you have no understanding of SEO do not bother.

My web address even uses one of the keywords I want to rank for but also certain URL addresses are prefered by searche engines so beware . . . .

My first website I rushed into had 40 visitors a month 20 of which were from the USA - completely useless!!

I understand the hesitance to spend money on SEO but you really have to - £500 on SEO will give you income for years to come!

You can shoot through that amount in advertising and not bring that much work in . . . . .

(beware that you need someone on recommendation as there are loads of guys out there who will calim they can get you 'on the first page of google')

Mate - With all due respect, it's not just about getting work through your website, in fact for me, it's nearly the complete opposite. I've been in the game for 35 years and would like a website to display my work and showcase my business - full stop. I couldn't care less whether it got 1 visitor in a year - As long as I can put it on my business cards and my existing customers can see it, then that is absolutely 100% fine by me; and I will not pay £40-50 per month to do so.

Different horses for different courses - I've never mentioned about spending money for SEO at all - My need is a low cost website with no frills and no bother, and if I send someone a batch of photo's - they'll do it for me. And IF, that's IF it brings a job or two in the year, then that's fine - But it's not a dealbreaker in any way, shape or form.

Thats fine I understand your requirements now!

99% of plumbers (like us lot!) want a website as a main form of advertising to bring customers in.

I sure you can understand our over-zealous love of SEO!

Anyone had any luck with the Google Local Listings? You know the pin on the map when you type in "plumber in ***" to Google? That comes up before anything else, so surely that's a cracking way to enhance your chances (to those who are paying lots for their website/seo)?

Got time to elaborate now.
Yes thanks very much for asking.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi Guys, As some of you know I have been...
Replies
Views
T
R
Hi Fubar We're looking at different methods...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Bump. Did contact a "new" Coventry company...
Replies
Views
R
***edit*** Damn you new tapatalk thought i...
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Replies
Views
newcastle phill
N
R
That answers me question, Well done you.
2 3
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
Back