Websites | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Jeff_JLED
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 8K

Discuss Websites in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jest of course.

To answer your question yes. You need to register for Google places. There are only seven businesses listed on places for any search term. But even if all the spots are taken Google gives you ranking points for registering so it is still worthwhile.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I jest of course.

To answer your question yes. You need to register for Google places. There are only seven businesses listed on places for any search term. But even if all the spots are taken Google gives you ranking points for registering so it is still worthwhile.

:lol:

I've done a bit of research on it - It's quite interesting actually, and it costs no money to do it. The more reviews you got, that also gives you a better chance to rise up the listings. Had a good conversation with the guys at Sole Trader Websites who to be fair were really helpful and didn't force my hand at all. Just need to make a decision now!

Google change the algorithms that control ratings on a daily basis - the average web designer wouldn't know an algorithm from their elbow, and most use software packages to do such work. How google control their rating system is a closely guarded secret, and they regularly change policy and strategy.

In the early days of search engines the key factor was the words used in meta-tags, then frequency of contact with other sites came into it, nowadays google use those factors and a range of other criteria.

The only way to make sure you stay at the top of the google ratings is to pay them to make sure it stays that way, as BG do - googling with the commonly used words for heating and plumbing repairs brings up a whole list of BG links.

Google change the algorithms that control ratings on a daily basis - the average web designer wouldn't know an algorithm from their elbow, and most use software packages to do such work. How google control their rating system is a closely guarded secret, and they regularly change policy and strategy.

In the early days of search engines the key factor was the words used in meta-tags, then frequency of contact with other sites came into it, nowadays google use those factors and a range of other criteria.

The only way to make sure you stay at the top of the google ratings is to pay them to make sure it stays that way, as BG do - googling with the commonly used words for heating and plumbing repairs brings up a whole list of BG links.

It still begs a question of how effective those local listings are?

Anyone had any success from it? Seems to me like a sort of online word of mouth.

People simply will not find you if you go somewhere like that - like I said it is a glorified business card.

If you have no understanding of SEO do not bother.

My web address even uses one of the keywords I want to rank for but also certain URL addresses are prefered by searche engines so beware . . . .

My first website I rushed into had 40 visitors a month 20 of which were from the USA - completely useless!!

I understand the hesitance to spend money on SEO but you really have to - £500 on SEO will give you income for years to come!

You can shoot through that amount in advertising and not bring that much work in . . . . .

(beware that you need someone on recommendation as there are loads of guys out there who will calim they can get you 'on the first page of google')

Is your website the one in the bottom of your posts pal?

It still begs a question of how effective those local listings are?

Anyone had any success from it? Seems to me like a sort of online word of mouth.

There does seem to be a fair amount of positivity towards website search engine listings, but no quantitative feedback in terms of jobs/ cash per month achieved through websites alone.

Getting your website opened in someone's browser is obviously only the first hurdle, i.e. the site has to tempt potential customers into giving you a call, for an estimate, whatever.

In my experience, a lot of small business trades people investing in websites, and little else, end up disappointed, and generally the advice is to make your website a shop window that compliments various other forms of advertising.

Templates and plugins are very sophisticated these days, and if used intelligently they can produce a very professional looking website - some web designers use Wordpress as a core and just change the fascia by rewriting the HTML.

If the advertising budget is small, it might be better to use a basic self-build website at a basic cost per month, and use the money saved for a regular small ad in the local paper which has the web address on and something that grabs people attention, e.g. maybe a set price (from £xx) for replacing a tap, or an offer on a boiler service, something like that.

Mail-shots through the door offering a low-cost boiler safety-check might be a good way of getting some servicing work, e.g. if they have the boiler serviced then the cost of the safety check is knocked off the charge for the service.

Safety, and boiler efficiency are two very good ways of selling your services, and using a proactive approach is likely to be better than saying: I'm John Smith, GSR, and I'm available if ever you want me (passive approach).

Ive used google maps (now places) listings for years and I have had thousands of pounds of work from my free listing!

people search for garages and plumbers on their smart phones 'maps' app which is google and will display your business there direct.

It is a definitely good one for me!

Yes Google places is a good one, but guys, just a reality check with websites and SEO - seo is something that can be done horribly wrong and even though you may "rank" in the first page for a bit, you can be penalized by google and you will not be anywhere to be seen for a very long time. Many people who sell seo services spam the internet to get backlinks (links from other websites pointing back to yours), as the quality/quantity of backlinks is part of google's ranking algorithm. I wouldn't go for a cheap "seo"er or someone who doesn't explain EXACTLY what type of backlinks they are intending to create and where. Seo services are a fickle business. Google tweak their algorithm every day, and ranking number one is something nobody can guarantee 100%.

Oh and another thing, check how many people are actually searching for the keyword you are interested in, if less than 1000 (likely) then you should really consider before spending money on seo services.

If a keyword has 1000 searches, the number one ranked website only gets 36% of those (worldwide average), which means only 360 visits to your site a month. number 2 gets 12.5% so only 125 visits a month, number 3 gets less than 9%, and from position 4-10 you only get from 1%-5%.

In other words if you are not top 1 or 2, there is no point.

I do recommend you still make websites though, as someone who is looking for plumbing apprenticeship, I find it difficult to find information on plumbers, apart from the big companies in the yellow pages, it's not easy to find you guys!

Yes Google places is a good one, but guys, just a reality check with websites and SEO - seo is something that can be done horribly wrong and even though you may "rank" in the first page for a bit, you can be penalized by google and you will not be anywhere to be seen for a very long time. Many people who sell seo services spam the internet to get backlinks (links from other websites pointing back to yours), as the quality/quantity of backlinks is part of google's ranking algorithm. I wouldn't go for a cheap "seo"er or someone who doesn't explain EXACTLY what type of backlinks they are intending to create and where. Seo services are a fickle business. Google tweak their algorithm every day, and ranking number one is something nobody can guarantee 100%.

That's why i use Andrew and recommend his services. He is honest and open and does not rush the Seo work because of the way Google penalize your site.
He charges a small monthly fee and there is no contract so if you weren't happy simply stop paying. What Andrew does is lay a solid foundation which takes time. In the fullness of time it is possible to have all 5 pages of your site on the first page ranking even above yell et al.

He really is an expert on seo. So far I've paid 4x£55 and had well over a grand back in profits and im still only on first page for marginal search terms.
Top of page two for the big ones and expecting to be first page soon.

I can supply a list of sites he's done all ranking on first page. So if anyone is interested they can take a look and see that this can and does work when its done right. :)

If you need a website I could put you in touch with someone who does them cheap?

If you need a website I could put you in touch with someone who does them cheap?

Not as cheap as FREE though. Had a look at yours. It a .co.UK Google prefers .com. Also you have flash which is non apple compatible and won't show on most phones either. Basic template website also.

Andrew does free completely individual sites. No contract and WILL get you ranking on Google first page for a small monthly fee.

No contract means no results don't pay.
He is doing a great service for several members on this forum.

Not as cheap as FREE though. Had a look at yours. It a .co.UK Google prefers .com. Also you have flash which is non apple compatible and won't show on most phones either. Basic template website also.

Andrew does free completely individual sites. No contract and WILL get you ranking on Google first page for a small monthly fee.

No contract means no results don't pay.
He is doing a great service for several members on this forum.

Who told you google prefer a .com ?? lol
that's utter tripe. Coming from someone who has several successful websites that have been running for 10 years plus.
For a company that does business in the USA, yes, a .com is preferred. But for a UK company a .co.uk will rank better in the search engines, for less work.

Who told you google prefer a .com ?? lol
that's utter tripe. Coming from someone who has several successful websites that have been running for 10 years plus.
For a company that does business in the USA, yes, a .com is preferred. But for a UK company a .co.uk will rank better in the search engines, for less work.

I've also been told this is true, although I'm no expert.

This is a brilliant thread - Glad I started it and I think it's great input for other plumbers who are looking to go online.

I've taken a keen interest over how things work over the last few months, and as I said to you guys before, i've spoken to a few companies, and the ones who listened to me the most and also mirrored what has been said on here was the team at Sole Trader Websites (apt name!! - do a Google search for them). Reasonable price, and just an honest company who don't promise the world. They seem to be keen to push the Google Local Listings, which makes sense as it doesn't cost us guys anything, and we can use it as a sort of online "word of mouth" to get our own customers to leave us feedback, improving our online appeal with our own customers.

Andrew is doing a site for me and can honestly say he's an absolute pleasure to deal with. Up front and honest throughout, anything I did or didn't want was executed instantly. Not on page one yet but have every faith that will be shortly. And I know for a fact the guy who is top of page one for the terms I want pays around £250 per month.

Andrew is doing a site for me and can honestly say he's an absolute pleasure to deal with. Up front and honest throughout, anything I did or didn't want was executed instantly. Not on page one yet but have every faith that will be shortly. And I know for a fact the guy who is top of page one for the terms I want pays around £250 per month.

Someone will be getting a good shouting at when you knock him off the top......:)

Lol so true mate cant wait

just an update mate, my website is now on first page of google for a whole bunch of popular searches, phones ringing, work booked in for a while, happy days.

20,000 monthly searches plus for plumbing services in bolton now see my website on the first page of results.

what will happen eventually is that all the other pages (5 in total) will appear on the front page also, so 50% of front page will be my website,

80% of people never look beyond the first page :hurray:

Blimey I need to move to Bolton! Lol I actually googled plumber in lostock the other day and you was the first 5 on page 1 of google! Lol mines not there yet but Andrew is confident it won't be much longer

Yeah mate. Bolton is more competitive than lostock which is why i get better results for lostock searches. Will get there for Bolton but will just take longer. But it does prove to the doubters that fantastic results can be achieved. :):):):):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi Guys, As some of you know I have been...
Replies
Views
T
R
Hi Fubar We're looking at different methods...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Bump. Did contact a "new" Coventry company...
Replies
Views
R
***edit*** Damn you new tapatalk thought i...
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Replies
Views
newcastle phill
N
R
That answers me question, Well done you.
2 3
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
Back