Who cooks? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Who cooks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bake a lot of fish but do a mean chicken and spinach curry though.......all from base ingredients and not paste......hate coriander!

I bake a lot of fish but do a mean chicken and spinach curry though.......all from base ingredients and not paste......hate coriander!

I used to cook curry from base spices, but gave up when I stopped kidding myself I could do it better than Pataks.

Its the same with pastry. Whatever small talents I may have, making better puff pastry than Jus-roll isn't one of them.

Not keen on Pataks Ray....all the pastes i have tried tasted like a commercial curry like the supermarket pre made ding specials and the flavour is too concentrated. When my foody mate showed me how to do my own , i could taste the ingredients seperately and it was cashmere smooth and not just an intense hit of spice.

Not keen on Pataks Ray....all the pastes i have tried tasted like a commercial curry like the supermarket pre made ding specials and the flavour is too concentrated. When my foody mate showed me how to do my own , i could taste the ingredients seperately and it was cashmere smooth and not just an intense hit of spice.

Try Pataks Garlic Pickle as a dip.You will love it but everyone will avoid you, for days, thereafter.
Best meal is Mackerel dragged up the beach, knocked on the head, filleted, thrown in the pan. Seasoned well, add toms to plate and enjoy.
We always know which meals we're having throughout the week, so when we shop there's nowt bought we don't need nor bought on a whim...no waste whatsoever.

I like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9eAI6aU1IU

Last edited:

As I say the paste makes or breaks a curry I've not had one decent one out of a commercial supermarket l. I make my own chilli from scratch no jars at all its boss!

This one's ace.

20140807_081321.jpg20140807_081321.jpg

I'll post back when you start a BBQ thread or baking I can bake a baileys cheese cake

Its not cooking if you use paste out of a jar. You can not beat a proper curry made from the raw ingredients. I use Mridula Baljekar's Complete Indian Cookbook to guide me.

Its not cooking if you use paste out of a jar. You can not beat a proper curry made from the raw ingredients. I use Mridula Baljekar's Complete Indian Cookbook to guide me.

Can you give us a good recipe from that book?

Last edited:
love cooking

I make most of my own sauces including:

Plum Sauce
Orange Sauce
Sweet and Sour
BBQ (includes cola and beer!)
Cheese sauce
plus many others

I am a massive fan of meat cooked properly, I wont over cook chicken, pork or steak or anything like that. So if you dont like meat that is sometimes still pink (not chicken) dont eat my cooking.

I am a steak connoisseur in the making. Saying 'I like my steak medium rare' is going to upset me as I will reply which steak?.

Home cooking for me becomes a real passion, I love trialling new things even if it goes wrong

Home made curries are the best, and having a real taste pallette for which spice you need to add a little more of is a real dream but still I try

love cooking

Plum Sauce
Orange Sauce
Sweet and Sour
Cheese sauce
plus many others

I am a massive fan of meat cooked properly, I wont over cook chicken, pork or steak or anything like that. So if you dont like meat that is sometimes still pink (not chicken) dont eat my cooking.

I am a steak connoisseur in the making. Saying 'I like my steak medium rare' is going to upset me as I will reply which steak?.

Home cooking for me becomes a real passion, I love trialling new things even if it goes wrong

Home made curries are the best, and having a real taste pallette for which spice you need to add a little more of is a real dream but still I try

Anyone who has steak well done doesn't like steak!

never did much cooking till i watched rick steins indian programme and bought the book. curries do taste better when you make yourself or follow them from a good recipe. but you cant a proper indian curry they are heaven.
steak done medium rare on the barbie works for me.

i do a mean pork belly roast

Last edited by a moderator:
love cooking

Plum Sauce
Orange Sauce
Sweet and Sour
Cheese sauce
plus many others

I watched that hairy bikers thing when they went round Asia, thoroughly enjoyed it too.
Got me when they got invited to someones house to eat home made sweet and sour. The shorter one of the two looked at the camera and said 'I've always wanted to know how to make authentic sweet and sour sauce'.
He patiently watched the old Chinese lady chopping her pineapples, peppers, onions and prepping the chicken. All the ingredients were cooking away and her 'authentic sauce' was a commercial-sized bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup!

As for my faves to make, they are: chicken chasseur, beef stroganof and sausage casserole. The chicken chasseur I make is from a recipe I learned when I was playing at being a chef in a castle in Wales for a couple of years. The second chef was an old Navy chef called John and he was amazing, his game pie was to die for but he never let on to any of us how he made the gravy for it :( I know there was about 4 pints of Guinness in it.
He had a book from about 1920 on how to cook for royalty, one of the recipes showed how to cook an elephants foot...

Just did Jamaican coconut chicken (not out of a jar that is!) tonight. Yesterday was Chinese pork with choi sum and salt egg. At the weekend we had Latvian Pelmeni (dumplings) with sour cream and spinach.

Don't often get the chance to experiment but am working mornings this week and spending afternoons in.

Last edited:
Cooking is one thing I wish I was good at, but being that my missus is a chef by trade I've never needed to. I do make a blinding pork chops in honey mustard sauce, the sauce of which I make myself, but that's really it tbh

Just did Jamaican coconut chicken (not out of a jar that is!) tonight. Yesterday was Chinese pork with shoi sum and salt egg. At the weekend we had Latvian Pelmeni (dumplings) with sour cream and spinach.

Don't often get the chance to experiment but am working mornings this week and spending afternoons in.

we had sausage and chips.

sausages were hand made by our local butcher.

one of the tastiest stews I made was while drunk and out camping.

take.....

1 tin stewing steak
1 tin mixed veg
1 tin baked beans
1 tin potatoes
most of a can of Guinness

drain the spuds and the veg, mix all ingredients in a large saucepan over a camp fire, simmer for 20 minutes or so, consume with bread and more guinness.

Kids choice tonight..Fish finger sandwiches..(i'm starving)

^^^Mmmmmm stew^^^^

sweet chilli pork
one tender loin sliced thinly
one large onion thinly sliced
4 dried chillis more or less depending how hot you like it
spoon full of fish sauce
a bunch of corriander
half pound of dark brown sugar
soften the onions in a wok crumble the dried chillies in near the end
add the pork stir fry till its sealed
add sugar and fish sauce and a little splash of water
stir till all the sugar has disolved
add some chopped corriander
simmer for ten mins and serve in bowls over sticky rice

Last edited:
is it the seeds /ground spice or the plant you dont like as they taste completely different

had freshly picked corn on the cob yesterday it was amazingly sweet
my real forbidden fruit is scallops fried gently in butter and garlic

had freshly picked corn on the cob yesterday it was amazingly sweet
my real forbidden fruit is scallops fried gently in butter and garlic

I actually went scrumping the other week as some of the crops being grown around us at the moment are corn.

I couldn't resist eating an ear, raw, on the way home, so very sweet and absolutely gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
The figure I see quoted quite often is a...
Replies
Views
Also, they could even supply their own tube...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Oh nice one, that's really useful. Those look...
Replies
Views
new p.h. ex. that will be alot cheaper than a...
Replies
Views
Back