Not Happy with the eye's in the sky !! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Not Happy with the eye's in the sky !! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if some have taken offence it was not my intention, just wanted a true debate on where the bounders lay, not according to GSR or others with a vested interest but with the people working day to day with this stuff.
It is a form of close shop & quite rightly so, it cost you enough money to belong. It is just when in incorrect technical justifications are put forward that it can get out of hand. I just wish we could take forward this idea of protecting other hard gained skills & on going costs to protect other areas of the industry not just the gas side.
Thank to all who contributed to the debate.
CW

I've certainly not taken offence to anything you've said! Been an interesting debate!

looking at the pics, the boiler casing is on !! if its removed, the fga readings will be altered as there is less resistance to the air being pulled into combustion chamber :)

Sorry if some have taken offence it was not my intention, just wanted a true debate on where the bounders lay, not according to GSR or others with a vested interest but with the people working day to day with this stuff.
It is a form of close shop & quite rightly so, it cost you enough money to belong. It is just when in incorrect technical justifications are put forward that it can get out of hand. I just wish we could take forward this idea of protecting other hard gained skills & on going costs to protect other areas of the industry not just the gas side.
Thank to all who contributed to the debate.
CW
but you are posting incorrect technical justifications, stop being so patronising, who the f c u k

I think (i may be wrong) what Chris is hinting at is where do we draw the line.
There are more risks to this (combined) trade than just taking the cover off a gas appliance or someone fitting their own cooker. DIY plumbing work has the potential to be equally as dangerous in a different way but no one gives a damn about that.

There are more risks to this (combined) trade than just taking the cover off a gas appliance or someone fitting their own cooker. DIY plumbing work has the potential to be equally as dangerous in a different way but no one gives a damn about that.

I for one do gjve a crap about DIY gas work.

My view tamz, this thread started via another thread whereby Cw was giving advice about wiring a boiler and having to remove the case, which only a gsr can do as it has effect on combustion, he got pulled up about this and thread closedhe got upset by this, and as he has been proven wrong in this thread also, he has manipulated and diluted this thread and refuses to accept he is wrong and then subtly turns it around that we are wrong ??? :)

There is (or was) a TB on sparks working on boilers. They came to the conclusion that although they didn't like it and would prefer it didn't happen, it is allowed for the sake of common sense.

interesting discussion lads ! i asked the question a week or two ago. as i didnt know what advice was to be given or not. i think it is all down to being safe. but i see when it comes to the questions like room stats its a tough one ! we will be doing ourselves out of work by giving the advice though ! for instance sombody comes on here we tell them how to wire up and fit a room stat and they take case off etc well when there boiler stops working they will take off the case to see if they "see" anything and when they ask sombody what it is and they diagnose the problem as a PCB they will only see changing that as "just a few connections"

as mentioned its where is the line drawn. if we let it go and give the advice in future we will be called out to diagnose the problem then once there told the problem they will say goodbye to us engineers and order there own part online and change it ! i say us but more to GSR's im talking from a business point of view.

thats my going on/rant over

There must be a good couple of dozen posts on here with me telling people how to wire their stats onto their combi's. I don't have a problem with it. If they are going to do it they will whether i tell them how to or not.
There is more risk of me being hit by a bus walking out my front gate than them doing any harm (buses don't run within 500 yards of my street).
As for loosing work; it is no skin off my nose. I couldn't care less as i don't sit waiting on the phone to ring and have no allegiance to anyone.
People will always have a go at something if they feel they can or can be bothered to. No regulation or forum censoring will ever stop that. If they are going to do it i would rather they do it safely.
Just use the not so common sense in deciding what you will answer. You can usually tell by the way they ask things how confident/competent they are in doing things.

One of Gas Safe's basic mission's is to get more people registered.
So the made redundant guy who always fancied being a gas plumber (whatever one of those are) who spends his cash on a 6 week course that teaches some theory but very little more than the basics of anything, is fine because he can read and pass a multi choice exam my dog could pass then pays out another couple of hundred but knows less about gas and even less about the electrics than my wife (she listens to me complaining about the idiots and shyt i deal with daily so picks up on a lot) and gets a gas card! Brilliant stuff!
Would you or i class him as safe because he had a spare 2 or 3 grand? I won't type what i my answer would be!

Btw if you do a boiler diagnosis (charge for it which may be refundable if you do the work if they are decent people or if you feel like it) always tell them it is the PCB then if you get the work and repair whatever is wrong they may be pleasantly surprised at the cost of what it really is and if you don't get the work and they decide i can do this snd buy a pcb they spend £200 quid for nothing.

My wee late night rant because all i have on tomorrow is a CCN1 resit garbage :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Firstly, I would ask the agent for a copy of...
Replies
Views
N
If you follow manufactures guide lines cant go...
Replies
Views
P
A happy ending I hope. These things happen...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
M
Incidentally, you dont need cg239-1 for...
2 3
Replies
Views
sparky3366
S
I
Hi fuzzy. After an interview with the ceo in...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
Back