fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fumes from boiler flue nauseating- please advise in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transco really have caused me problems. They rang me today and asked if the matter was resolved. I said it wasn't but that the fumes being emitted did NOT smell of gas.
I told them their first visit had antagonized the landlord & he had become abusive.

They said they had to do another visit if the smell was there and I asked them NOT to involve me.

However the tenant has just been to see me and is fuming as he was told "a lady in the block of flats" reported a gas smell. He was very cross with me...

Transco said they'll ring me in a few days to see if the matter was resolved...if they do i won't be answering!

Sorry but to all of you who told me to ring them...I wish I hadn't listened. I knew they only deal with gas leaks and I now have fallen out with my neighbours!

Just a thought, can you get a copy of your neighbours Gas Safety Certificate (AKA CP12) to see if any issues were raised?

The chances are that your neighbours boiler is fine and the flue is far enough away from your window to meet manufacturers requirements.
Best bet, shut the window and move on.

have you tried telling the land lord and tenant to turn the boiler on and come upstairs and see what they think?

yes i agree you need to fit the detector to the manufactures instructions for it to work and protect you correctly.

the EH may be able to leave a air testing device which takes sample at intervals throughout the day, you need to speak to them.

Good idea- thanks for this. :)

Just a thought, can you get a copy of your neighbours Gas Safety Certificate (AKA CP12) to see if any issues were raised?

I have asked for this several times but been refused. The landlord really isn't happy at all with me. he said the tenant was upset about the intrusion by Transco and has threatened to sue me for loss of income if the tenant moves out.

Sadly our residents association have had ongoing issues with this landlord for ten years...He has never complied with very much, especially in terms of his lettings, and gets very angry when challenged.

The chances are that your neighbours boiler is fine and the flue is far enough away from your window to meet manufacturers requirements.
Best bet, shut the window and move on.

I've done this on and off since the issue began back in 2007. However I would like to be able to open my window when I need to and have every right to do so. This is why I sought advice on this board. Please put yourself in my position- the fumes come up directly below my living room and kitchen and these are the two rooms I use most.

I would try and ignore the smell if someone... anyone, could tell me they are not harmful in any way. However the fact that they make me feel nauseous concerns me.

One clue is that they might come out of a small grid below the flue and not the flue itself? It's a rectangular metal grid which juts out slightly on the external wall.

I wondered this because the normal fumes that i can see emerging from the plastic flue are definitely harmless/odourless steam, however the horrid pungent fumes are not visible at all. They emerge at a completely different time altogether.. when the system is first switched on and the mechanical grinding noise starts up...

Could some one with some ventilation experience , get air flowing out of you problem window

rather than in , no a fix , but may rid you of nuisance smell ( Some car catalysts stink )

I have asked for this several times but been refused. The landlord really isn't happy at all with me. he said the tenant was upset about the intrusion by Transco and has threatened to sue me for loss of income if the tenant moves out.

Sadly our residents association have had ongoing issues with this landlord for ten years...He has never complied with very much, especially in terms of his lettings, and gets very angry when challenged.

It does not matter what the landlord is like my advise is every time the ESP (Transco/Wales and west etc) call if you have still had the smell then report it. If the landlord will not show you a copy of the gas safety certificate then speak to gas safe to get involved (Although you may find them useless as they dont seem to want to get involved unless someone is already dead or in a serious condition) If they are useless then go to HSE as gas safe will not be the people who prosecute it will be HSE so you may have better luck with them. I deal with dodgy landlords day in day out as soon as you give them the right threat ( Legal wise not baseball bat wise) They usually then listen to sense.

One clue is that they might come out of a small grid below the flue and not the flue itself? It's a rectangular metal grid which juts out slightly on the external wall.
So the problem may not be related to the boiler!

You say that you hear a grinding noise each time the odour occurs. Could it be a waste disposal unit in the neighbour's sink?

The grid is probably a vent for the neighbour's kitchen, to allow cooking smells out.

Whereabouts are you Trisha? One of us may be close by..... And some of us are really scary looking!

not going to tell me this is a kitchen extractor venting un-savoury kitchen smells are you?

""One clue is that they might come out of a small grid below the flue and not the flue itself? It's a rectangular metal grid which juts out slightly on the external wall.""

I said this last week but I am wrong & I take this back. Just videoed the fumes pouring out of the white plastic wall extractor and coming towards my window. They do not come from the metal grid. They are the same looking fumes that come out daily but when they coincide with the mechanical pump type noise these fumes are very pungent.

Also- someone here asked what they smell of... very easy....exactly the same as someone revving a large engine...but more acrid!

I'm burning an incense stick right now as the smell flooded my living room.
The CO detector ahsn't buzzed though, I'm pleased to say...

You've enough posts to allow you to post the video Trisha, can you do that for us please?

And whereabouts are you? I'd love for one of us to pop in and take a butcher's, if only to calm your mind and satisfy our curiosity!

If this such a problem Trisha would pay for someone to give there professional opinion.....

I have come across a stinking flue like this before and am surprised this hasn't been mentioned already....
I would bet it is a fan flued boiler, and the FAN IS NOISY (hence the startup noise) and when running at hi speed its faulty bearings are causing the plastic to overheat creating an acrid smell which is being discharged into the flue.

If it is a plasticcy burning smell (it cant be car exhaust smell as the boiler isn't petrol powered!) I would bet money on it being that.

Unless your neighbours growing some kind of drugs.

I wouldn't give a damn about falling out with people. This is your health and burning plastic is carcinogenic and not very nice to breath in (if it is even that)

Im not sure what else you could do about it but if your that bothered you could offer to pay for the boiler to be inspected and repaired (get someone good off here as has been recommended then you wont get ripped off) , or move out!! or ignore it until the boiler dies.

Last edited:
could it not be the extractor fan in the bath room making the noise and smell (the small vent / grill that sticks out a bit) - maybe the fan is knackered, and you're associating it with the boiler when you see it pluming, when say for example, your neighbour is running a bath or is in the shower? or as above the boilers fan is at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
Did you ever get an answer to your problem? We...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If it were me I would send a letter recorded...
2 3 4 5 6 7
Replies
Views
Back